Commercial Community Kitchens for Rent

Start-up food entrepreneurs often lack the capital resources to invest in their own production facilities.  Renting an approved food handling establishment such as an inspected commercial community kitchen can provide entrepreneurs the space needed to produce value-added food products for sale. 

If the food product is to be sold only at a farmers' market, review the Farmers' Market Guidelines (PDF 70 KB) to see if the food product must be processed in an approved food handling establishment.

Before you can rent a community kitchen, the facility must have a valid Food Service Establishment permit issued by Manitoba Health.

How to get a permit to operate in an inspected commercial community kitchen 

To produce a food product for sale in an inspected commercial community kitchen, you will need to get a permit from Manitoba Health. To get a permit, follow these steps:

  1. Locate a community kitchen approved as a food service establishment by Manitoba Health, who is willing to rent their kitchen.      
  2. Apply for your own Food Service Establishment permit by contacting Manitoba Health.      
  3. Collect all information needed for the permit application (PDF 93 KB):
    • Location address of the commercial community kitchen.
    • Layout of the facility - provide a detailed drawing of the floor plan of the facility indicating size and where equipment is or will be located if adding additional equipment (layout should be obtained from the intended facility).
    • List all the products you will be producing.
    • List the ingredients for each product. The ingredients must be from an approved source.
    • List the processing and sanitation steps you will be using to produce each product. An example would be a product that is being thermally processed (ex: pasteurization) for safety reasons or a product that is hermetically packaged (ex: canning).
    • Depending on the product, you may need to provide additional validation to ensure your processes are safe. For example, you may need to determine pH levels of your product (ex: salsa). 
  4. To maintain your permit, inspection for processing your products should be done on an annual basis. Inspection should also be done if you add any additional products to process in this facility.

Rent a commercial community kitchen

Here is a list of inspected community kitchens available for rent in Manitoba that are updated regularly. You will need to contact each location for availability, fees and other requirements.

To be added to this directory, you can email us

Taking the next step

The Food Development Centre (FDC) helps entrepreneurs at every stage of their food production process.

FDC will work with you on-site at an inspected commercial kitchen with services that can be tailored to meet your needs. Services include:

  • on-site consulting
  • product development
  • recipe standardization
  • ingredient sourcing
  • food testing ex: pH, water activity, moisture content, standard plate count, yeast and mould and coliform/ E. coli testing
  • nutritional label creation and review
  • packaging advice  
  • shelf-life testing 
  • sensory analysis
  • rental equipment

For more information or a free quote, call 1-800-870-1044 or 204-239-3150 in Portage la Prairie.

 Other related links