Geoscience

Industrial Minerals

Deposits & Occurrences 2006 - Phanerozoic

Cement

NTS Map

Click images below to enlarge:

Click to enlarge image of cement rock outcrop

Cement rock outcrop

Click to enlarge image of Manitoba escarpment

Manitoba escarpment

 

Natural Cement Rock

Natural cement production began with natural cement produced from the Cretaceous Niobrara Formation at Arnold (Deerwood) on the east slope of Pembina Mountain from the late 1890's to 1904. This operation was followed by a second plant at Babcock (1907 to 1924). The characteristics of the natural cement material were too variable to compete with Portland cement (Gunter, 1989). Numerous exposures of the natural cement rock occur in the southern part of the Province along the Manitoba Escarpment.

Portland Cement

Portland Cement production began in Manitoba in 1913 at Fort Whyte, in south Winnipeg. Lafarge Canada Inc. produced Portland cement from calcined high-calcium limestone from its Steep Rock and Lily Bay quarries at its Fort Whyte plant until 1987, which employed 85 to 100 people (Shetty, 1994). Inland Cement Ltd. produced Portland cement at its Tuxedo plant, in south Winnipeg, from 1965 to 1992. Output of the Steep Rock quarry was also sold to Inland Cement Ltd. for its Winnipeg cement plant from 1965 to 1992. In response to poor demand for cement (equivalent to only 85 days of production during 1993), Inland’s plant was shut down. This decreased demand was due to the effects of recession in the construction industry. Operations were consolidated in Edmonton (Shetty, 1994) and all cement used in the Province is transported across Saskatchewan to Winnipeg for distribution.

back to top