Geoscience

Industrial Minerals

Deposits & Occurrences 2006 - Phanerozoic

Silica Sand

NTS Map

Click images below to enlarge:

Click to enlarge image of Silica sand outcrop near Seymourville, MB

Silica sand outcrop near Seymourville, MB

 

Ordovician

Gossan Resources Limited and Char Crete Ltd. have mineral dispositions over a silica sand occurrence in the Winnipeg Formation near Seymourville. This occurrence is 15 m (49.5 feet) thick and contains a potential 45 million tonnes of silica sand. The sand is exposed at surface or occurs beneath thin overburden. The silica sand may have a potential use for the production of ferrosilicon and float glass (Gossan Resources Limited, Annual Report, 1999).

A float-plate glass marketing study conducted for the Manitoba Government warranted investigation of raw material resources, such as silica sand, and conducting feasibility studies (International Technologies Consultants, Inc., 1996).

In 1995, Natural Resources Canada, CANMET, under the Canada/Manitoba Partnership Agreement on Mineral Development commissioned a study on the production of sodium silicate from silica sand. Ash Associates of Toronto, Ontario, developed the test program. Work was carried out, in Ontario, by I.M.D. Laboratories Ltd. and ORTECH Corporation. Testwork on a silica sand sample from the Winnipeg Formation indicated that solid and liquid glass could be produced that met the industry standards for the oxides of iron, calcium, magnesium, titanium and aluminum (Ash Associates, 1996).

Contacts:

Char Crete Ltd.
1127 Redonda Street
RR5
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2C 2Z2
Phone: 204-954-3890
Fax: 204-224-4075

 

Gossan Resources Limited
Suite 404 - 171 Donald Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3C 1M4
Phone: 204-943-1990
Fax: 204-942-3434
E-mail:info@gossan.ca
Web site: www.gossan.ca

 

Pleistocene (Glacial Sand)

The first glass container factory in Western Canada was built by the Manitoba Glass Company in 1906, southeast of Beausejour. The factory drew on Pleistocene glacial sand (reworked Ordovician silica sand?) from a pit located north of the plant. At its peak it employed 350 workers, producing bottles for breweries and soft drink companies, in Winnipeg and Western Canada. In 1914, the operations were shut down and moved to Redcliff, Alberta. All new glass bottles are imported into the Province.

back to top