INVENTORY FILE NO.
NAME OF PROPERTY
KITCHENER, Eclipse, and No. 1 & 2 Branch Veins (Kitchener and
1985 - Angela Development Ltd.
Arbor Resources Inc.
The deposit is situated within one of many en echelon quartz-bearing
shear zones which strike approximately 285° across a trough-shaped block of
ground lying between two large east trending carbonate shear zones. The north
and southS carbonate shears, meeting on the west and probably at depth, enclose
part of the limb of a southeast trending anticline.
Within the trough-shaped
block of ground, metagreywacke of the Tinney Lake Formation of the Rice Lake
Group is enclosed by the Wadhope gabbro sill. The quartz-bearing shear zones are
located within the metagreywacke near the southern contact of the sill
The Kitchener vein is located in the western part of the
shear zone. The Growler shaft was sunk on this portion of the shear. At its east
end the Kitchener vein splits into two branches, the Eclipse vein and the No. 1
Branch vein and at this location the Kitchener shaft was sunk. The No. 2 Branch
vein is a branch from the No. 1 Branch vein.
The Kitchener vein continues
from the surface to a depth of 214 m, but narrows to the east and at depth
towards the south carbonate shear. No. 1 Branch vein is of good width for
distances up to 207 m from the west end and to a depth of 191 m. The Eclipse
vein is narrower on the 114 m level than on upper levels, and was not found
below this level.
The quartz in these veins, especially in their upper parts,
is a smoky grey and varies from coarse to sugar grained. The quartz carries
disseminated grains and veinlets of pyrite, chalcopyrite, and pyrrhotite. Except
in the No. 2 Branch vein, pyrrhotite is generally less plentiful than the other
sulphides. Free gold was rarely observed and where visible is associated with
chalcoyrite and pyrite. An ore sample was reported to contain a trace of zinc
and 0.009% nickel (Stockwell and Lord, 1939). In general the sulphides and gold
decrease in quantity with depth. The main orebody extended for 244 m in the est
part of the Kitchener vein and continued east for 198 m in the Eclipse branch
and for 137 m in the No. 1 Branch vein; and from surface to the 114 m level.
Three small patches of ore were found between 114 and 140 m levels.
schists generally hold disseminated grains and cubes of pyrite, but little or no
MINERALS OR PRODUCTS OF VALUE
Copper, silver, lead
EXPLORATION AND DEVELOPMENT
In 1915, the Kitchener (24033) and Growler (24031) claims were staked
over the deposit by Letitia Germain and George Baird, respectively.
M.C. was assigned to John A. McVicar in 1917 and two years later he assigned
half-interest to Alexander Baird. Lease No. 220 was issued to them for a 21-year
period in 1922.
No. 1 & 2 Branch Veins (Kitchener and Crowler
The 18.4 hectare Kitchener M.C. (Lot 154) was optioned in 1924 to
T.C. Anderson of the W.A.D. Syndicate Limited (H. Wentworth, T.C. Anderson, and
H.C. Davis). Diamond drilling and active development indicated two major
ore-shoots 1068 m apart and some 4 km in length (Robinson, 1932). DeLury and
Cole (1930) described the two major ore-shoots as occurring along what they
referred to as the W.A.D. zone. The first shoot was on the Kitchener claim and
the other some 1068 m to the east on the Hope M.C. (52 L/13, Ref. AU 13).
complete mining plant and necessary equipment were shipped in from the Solo-Ore
Grande claims and early in 1925 the Eclipse (Main) shaft on the Kitchener had
reached a depth of 114 m. At that time John Taylor and Sons, of London, England,
through the Anglo-Canadian Explorers Limited, acquired a substantial interest in
In 1925 and 1926 some work was done on the Growler vein west
of the Kitchener, and on the Tene 6 (52 L/13, Ref. AU 11), Roger (52 L/13, Ref.
AU 12), and Hope (52 L/13, Ref. AU 13) veins to the E (Wright, 1932).
Kitchener and Growler M.C.'s were assigned to T.C. Anderson and then to
Central Manitoba Mines, Limited, in 1926. Soon after, a 21-year lease
(603) was issued to Central Manitoba Mines, Limited, on Kitchener
A 136 tonne cyanidation mill was built during the summer of 1927 and the
property went into production in October 1927. Shafts were also sunk on the
Kitchener vein where it crosses the Growler claim and on the Tene 6, Rogers, and
Hope deposits (Stockwell and Lord 1939).
The eastern end of the Kitchener
vein, the Eclipse vein and the No. 1 and 2 Branch veins were developed from the
two-compartment Eclipse (Kitchener) shaft. The western end of the Kitchener vein
was first developed from the Growler shaft, and after 1929 from the Eclipse
shaft by means of a cross-cut on the 114 m level. Up until that time all
production sent to the mill was from the Eclipse shaft.
According to Stockwell and Lord (1939) the deposit was developed on six levels
to a depth of 159 m, the lower three levels being reached through a winze sunk
on the vein from the 114 to the 159 m horizons.
Eclipse vein: The vein was
developed by drifting on the 38, 61, 76, and 114 m levels (Stockwell and Lord
No. 1 Branch vein: The vein was developed on seven levels to a depth
of 261 m, although on the lowest level it has been explored chiefly by means of
diamond drilling from a drift lying from about 6 to 31 m south of the vein and
about parallel with it. On the 38, 61, 76, 114, and 159 m levels the vein was
followed easterly from the fork for distances of 46 to 244 m. On the 191 and 267
m levels the vein was traced for lengths of 262 and 519 m, respectively, but was
not followed westerly to the fork (Stockwell and Lord, 1939).
No. 2 Branch
vein: The vein was developed on the 61 and 76 m levels, and followed for 49 m in
drifts on each of these levels (Stockwell and Lord, 1939).
In 1931 John
Taylor and Sons retired from mine management and Anglo-Canadian
Explorers, Limited, divested itself of any control of the mining policy
(Northern Miner, May 14/31). The W.A.D. Syndicate Limited, then assumed
management of the mine.
In 1932 Central Manitoba Mines, Limited
acquired 30\000 shares (later increased to 150\000 shares) of Manitoba Gold
Mines, Limited, from the W.A.D. Syndicate.
Production continued until July
27, 1937, when the mine was officially closed. A review of the
development work from surface to the deepest horizons indicated a progressive
decrease in the gold content, mineralization, quartz content and alteration of
the shear zones. In the lowest level only narrow shear zones with little or no
quartz and mineralization were encountered while gold values were negligible.
Justification for further development work at depth did not exist. The property
was inactive for the next nine years until early in 1946 when the Kitchener,
Growler and 48 other leased claims were sold
for $50\000 and assigned, first
to Thomas Joseph Day, and then to New Manitoba Gold Mines Limited. The lease on
the Growler was renewed in 1943. New Manitoba Gold Mines Limited explored the
property with 12 drill holes in 1946, but work was discontinued until market
conditions became more opportune for financing.
In 1947 the lease on the
Kitchener was renewed.
New Manitoba Gold Mines Limited changed its name to
New Manitoba Mining & Smelting Company Limited in 1958. The property was
assigned to Manoka Mining & Smelting Company Limited in 1962.
on Growler was renewed in 1964 and on Kitchener in 1968.
In 1969 Arthur
Vander Brink took out an option on the property and immediately assigned it to
Summit Oils Limited. Early in the next year an agreement between Summit Oils
Limited and the Province of Manitoba was made under the Mineral Assistance Act.
The proposed exploration program was never started and in 1971 Arthur Vander
Brink and Summit Oils Limited allowed the option to run out.
& Smelting Company Limited changed its name to Cat Lake Mines Limited in
1972. The latter was merged with two other companies in 1974 to form Fundy
Chemical International Ltd.
The Tene 321, 335; Kitchener 154, 341; and
Growler 126, 340 claims expired in August 1976.
In 1977 J. Calverly staked W
45879 over the mine and carried out trenching and sampling. Ownership was
transferred to F. Calverley in 1979 and then the claim was converted to
Production Lease 26 (PL 26) in May 1979. The holder's name was changed to
Calverly Prospecting Limited in 1980. There has been no official production from
CB 10064 was staked by W.B. Dunlop in 1978 to cover ground around PL
26. Mid-North Resources acquired CB 10064 in January 1981 and immediately
optioned it to Camflo Mines Limited (Barrick Resources) who as part of its
Pioneer Project also optioned:
In the winter and
spring of 1981 a VLF-EM and MAG survey was carried out and followed up by a
summer-fall program of geological mapping and geochemistry. In 1982 a study was
carried out to establish the feasibility of hauling and custom milling surface
material from Kitchener. In total 437 tonnes of material was hauled and custom
milled. Data on gold recoveries is not available. In 1984 Camflo Mines Ltd.
changed its name to Barrick Resources Corporation. Later in 1984 Angela
Development Limited and Arbor Resources Inc. entered into an option agreement
with Barrick Resources. During the period August to October 1984 a 10 hole
drilling program was carried out.
Total Production from Central Manitoba Mines four deposits; 52
L/14NW, AU 10, AU 11, AU 12, and AU 13 was as follows:
Years Ore Milled
(Tonnes) Gold kg (ozs)
Production from Kitchener M.C.
1927-37 395 275
4977.5 (160 034)
1927 ? 5.67 (182.34)
1928 14\937 572.2
1929 49\623 676.8 (21\761.21)
1932 1\429 18.6 (597.5)
11\567 101.3 (3\256.79)
1934 15\474 154.3 (4\962.16)
1935 6\021 58.1
Production from Growler M.C.
1932 23\169 302.26
1933 18\686 163.63 (5\260.98)
1934 20/175 201.16
1935 17\686 170.54 (5\483.08)
Canadian Mines Handbook, 1962: p. 152; Northern Miner Press
DeLury, J.S., and Cole, Geo. E., 1930: Central Manitoba
Mines, Limited; in First Annual Report on Mines and Minerals; Manitoba Mines
Branch, Volume 1, 1928.
Manitoba Mines Branch:
a. Annual Report on Mines
and Minerals; 1929-1937.
b. Corporation Files; Central Manitoba Mines
Limited, New Manitoba Gold Mines Limited.
Mineral Development Sector:
Corporation Files; Consolidated Manitoba Mines Limited.
Mines Branch, Ottawa,
1929: Investigations in Ore Dressing and Metallurgy; Report 720, p. 127-139 (No.
Robinson, A.H.A., 1935: Gold in Canada; Mines Branch, Ottawa,
Publication 769, p. 57-58.
Russell, G.A., 1952: Structural Studies of the
Long Lake-Halfway Lake Area; Manitoba Mines Branch, Publication 49-6, p.
Stephenson, J.F., 1971: Gold Deposits of the Rice Lake-Beresford Lake
Greenstone Belt, Southeastern Manitoba; in Geology and Geophysics of the Rice
Lake Region, Southeastern Manitoba; Manitoba Mines Branch, Publication, 71-1,
Report 16, p. 337-374.
Stockwell, C.H., and Lord, C.S., 1939: Halfway
Lake-Beresford Lake Area, Manitoba; Geological Survey of Canada, Memoir 219, p.
Wright, J.F., 1932: Geology and Mineral Deposits of a Part of
Southeastern Manitoba; Geological Survey of Canada, Memoir 169, p. 66-74.
1 & 2 Branch Veins (Kitchener and Crowler M.C.’s)
Map 52 L/14 W, Garner Lake, (Topographic), Scale 1:50 000, Mines &
Technical Survey, Canada.
Map 4048 G, Garner Lake, (Aeromagnetic), Scale 1:63
360, Manitoba Mines Branch & Geological Survey of Canada.
Geology of the Wanipigow-Winnipeg Rivers Region, SE Manitoba, (Geology), Scale
1:253 440-Accompanying report by Stephenson (1971),
Maps 536, 7 A, Sheets 2
and 3, Halfway Lake-Beresford Lake, (Geology), Scale 1:12 000-Accompanying
Memoir 219 by Stockwell and Lord (1939), Geological Survey of Canada.
(Unpublished), Kitchener M.C. (24033), Lot 154, Group 124 (Survey, 1921), Scale
1:2400-Accompanying File 1120, Mining Recording, Manitoba Mines Branch.
(Unpublished), Growler M.C. (24031), Lot 126, Group 124 (Survey, 1922), Scale
1:2400-Accompanying File 895, Mining Recording, Manitoba Mines Branch.
Map Series 52 L/14NW, Scale 1:31 680, circa 1974, Mining Recording, Manitoba
Total Underground Exploration at Central Manitoba Mines,
Limited - 16 075 m of drifting and cross-cutting - 33 346 m of diamond
06-67 06-73 04-74 06-85