Au 2
God’s Lake Gold Mine
1987 - Twin Gold Mines Ltd.
2147 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Shaft No. 1
54° 40’12”
94° 09’05”
Uncertainty (m)
500 m
UTM Zone
L.S./Quarter Section
65, 66
22 EPM
The area is underlain by andesite and basalt flows that are intruded by gabbro and quartz-feldspar porphyry dykes and sills. Gold mineralization occurs within a 3 m thick unit at the contact between a gabbro sill and basalt flows. Baker (1935) described the unit as a “tuff bed” that consists of: 1) very fine grained, black and salty textured tuffaceous rocks; 2) slightly coarser grained tuffs composed of chlorite and hornblende schist; and 3) coarser grained black, reddish-brown, jade-green, or light pearly grey tuffs locally showing well defined bedding planes. Theyer (1984b) described the unit as fine grained volcanogenic(?) detrital and chemical sedimentary rocks.
Mineralization occurs predominantly within quartz stringers that generally parallel bedding planes. Sulphides are also weakly disseminated throughout the host rocks. Pyrrhotite is the predominant sulphide with lesser amounts of pyrite, arsenopyrite, galena and chalcopyrite. Free gold is found sporadically in the quartz stringers.
Silver, copper, lead, zinc
The God's Lake Gold Mine was located on the north shore of Elk Island, God's Lake, in north-eastern Manitoba. The mine consisted of two 3-compartment shafts: the main shaft, Shaft No. 1, was located on the Akers No. 7 claim (W1106, M310) near the townsite of God's Lake; and, Shaft No. 2 on the Cona No. 1 claim (W1081, M545), approximately 1,830 m (6,000 ft.) to the west of Shaft No. 1. The area is situated approximately 550 km northeast of Winnipeg, and 250 km southeast of Thompson. The God's Lake area is accessible by aircraft.
While prospecting under the auspices of The Coniagas Mines, Limited and Bobjo Mines, Limited in 1932, R.J. Jowsey and A. MacDonald made the original gold discovery on Jowsey Island. The Jowsey vein is located approximately 9.5 km (6 miles) west of God's Lake Gold Mine. On the strength of this discovery, Jowsey and MacDonald staked the Reno group of claims (see NW 9, 53 L; Ref. Au 1). Subsequently. the adjacent Rand, Elk, Cona, Gold Standard, Greenstone, and Akers groups of claims were staked. Through the efforts of Jowsey, the Reno, Rand, Elk, and Cona groups, belonging to the original syndicate for which Jowsey and MacDonald staked, were combined with the Gold Standard, Greenstone, and Akers group, that were staked by other interests. God's Lake Gold Mines Limited then was incorporated in December 1932 to develop this holding of 148 claims. (Baker, 1935).
In the report, the discussion will be mainly confined to Akers No. 7 and Cona No. 1, the claims upon which the two mine shafts are located. Cona No. 1 (W1081) and Akers No. 7 (W1106) were staked by A. MacDonald and J.N. Bairner, respectively, in October 1932. Akers No. 7 was assigned to P. Durie the following month. At this time, an option agreement was established between P. Durie and R.J. Jowsey, Cona No. 1 and Akers No. 7 were then assigned to God's Lake Gold Mines Limited in February 1933 by Jowsey.
Preliminary development work began in March 1933. During the year, 29 drill holes and a number of trenches were completed on the Akers group. A land survey was also conducted at this time.

The development work was sufficiently encouraging to warrant an intensive underground development program. During the winter of 1933-34, a winter road was constructed from Ilford (Mile 286 on the Hudson Bay Railway) to the God's Lake area, a distance of 230 m (132 miles). At this time, the sinking of Shaft No. 1 was begun. (God's Lake Gold Mines Limited, 1st Annual Report, 1933).
During 1934, the shaft was sunk to a depth of 308 feet, with stations cut at the 150- and 275-foot levels. The decision to bring the mine into production for the fall of 1935 was made in the fall of 1934. To supply the mine site with electrical power, construction of the Kanuchun Rapids hydroelectric dam began at this time. The ore reserves to the end of 1934 were calculated to be 76,000 tons (68,900 tonnes) averaging 0.43 oz/ton gold (13.5 g/tonne). This reserve estimate includes a 20% allowance for dilution. (God's Lake Gold Mines Limited, 2nd Annual Report, 1934).
On May 21, 1934, a 21 year lease was issued for Akers No. 7 (Lease No. M304). Cona No. 1 was leased on January 18, 1936 (M545).
Construction of a 150-ton per day cyanide treatment mill began in May 1935 and was completed by September. During the year, deepening of the mineshaft was begun to the 3rd and 4th levels (425- and 575-foot stations). With the completion of the mill and hydroelectric dam, production of the God's Lake Gold Mine began from Shaft No. 1 on September 10, 1935.
The mine and mill operated from September 1935 until September 1943 when all ore reserves were exhausted. The mill rate was increased to 200 tons per day in 1937. During the life of the mine, a total of 541,138 tons (490,812 tonnes) of ore were milled, producing 160,451 oz. of gold (4,552 kg) and 28,354 oz. of silver (805 kg.). (God's Lake Gold Mines Limited; 3rd to 5th Annual Reports, 1935-37; Annual Reports, Manitoba Mines Branch, 10th, p. 9; 11th, p. 8; 12th, p. 9; 13th, p. 9; 14th, p. 7; 15th, p. 7; 16th, p. 7).
Production of God's Lake Gold Mine only came from Shaft No. 1 during the life of the mining operation. Shaft No. 1 was deepened to 910 feet, with stations cut at the 150-, 275-, 425-, 575-, and 875-foot levels. Sinking of Shaft No. 2 began in 1939 and was deepened to 1,887 feet by 1941. Stations were cut at the 825-, 1,050-, 1,200-, 1,250-, 1,500-, 1,650-, and 1,800-foot levels. No production came from Shaft No. 2 due to insufficient ore, and the shaft was abandoned in 1942. (God's Lake Gold Mine Limited, 3rd to 10th Annual Reports, 1935-1942).
Following the closing of the mine in 1943, the property of God's Lake Gold Mine was transferred to Lingman Lake Gold Mines Limited in 1948. The company name was changed to Lake Lingman Gold Mining Company Limited in 1949. The name was changed again in 1965 to Lakelyn Mines Limited.
Lease M306 for Akers No. 76 was renewed by the company in 1955 for a further 21 year period. Lease M545 for Cona No. 1 was also renewed in 1957. Cona No. 1 was cancelled in 1958.
On March 2, 1976, the lease status of Akers No. 7 (M306) was converted to a claim status (W1106). At this time, the following nine adjacent claims were also converted from a lease to a claim status: Cona No. 3 (M296 to D1083); Cona No. 9-11 (M297-M300 to D1088-D1091); Akers No. 1 (M304 to D1100); Akers No. 3 (M306 to D1102); Manitou (M311 to D1531); and, Lake No. 26 (M322 to D2033).
Year..........Tonnes milled..........Gold produced kg (oz.)
1935............13 616..........................117.5....(3 779)
1936............49 441..........................567.0....(18 231)
1937............55 766..........................553.0....(17 781)
1938............64 155..........................690.0....(22 183)
1939............65 860..........................802.9....(25 814)
1940............65 101..........................644.1....(20 711)
1941............66 130..........................681.8....(21 922)
1942............66 082.........................508.6....(16 353)
1943............44 715.........................425.4....(13 677)
Total .........490 866......................4990.3....(160 451)
Annual Reports, Manitoba Mines Branch;
5th, p. 26-28; 6th, p. 29-32; 7th, p. 41-45; 8th, p. 45-51; 9th, p 53-58; 10th, p. 9, 62-66; 11th, p. 8, 55-60; 12th, p. 9, 48-52; 13th, p. 9, 40-46; 14th, p. 7, 33-39; 15th, p. 7, 39-45; 16th. p. 7, 39-44.
Baker, W.F., 1935: Geology of the God's Lake Gold Mines Limited; Trans., CIMM, V. 38, pp. 155-162.+
Barry, G.S., 1961: Geology of the Gods Narrows Area; Manitoba Mines Branch, Publication 60-1, +++
Cole, G.E., 1938: The Mineral Resources of Manitoba; Manitoba Economic Survey Board, p. 161-162.
Davies, J.F., Bannatyne, B.B., Barry, G.S., McCabe, H.R., 1962: Geology and Mineral Resources of Manitoba; Manitoba Mines Branch, p. 53-62.++
Dix, W.F., 1951: Geology of the God's Lake Area; Manitoba Mines Branch, Preliminary Report 47-4.
God's Lake Gold Mines Limited, NE 9, 53 L; Corporation Files, Manitoba Mineral Resources Division.
Quinn, H.A., 1961: Oxford House, Manitoba (Map with marginal notes); Geological Survey of Canada, Map 21-1961.
Wright, J.F., 1932: Oxford House Area, Manitoba; Geological Survey of Canada, Summary Report, Part C, pp. 1-25.
Wright, J.F., 1932: Geology and gold prospects of the area about Island, Gods, and Oxford Lakes, Manitoba; Bulletin, CIMM, v. 35, p. 440-454.
*Map 53 L, Oxford House, (Topography), Scale 1:250\000, Surveys and Mapping Branch, Ottawa.
Maps 53 L; 9 NE (claim), Scale 1:31\680, "Circa 1949, 1976", Claim Map Series, Mining Recording, Manitoba Mineral Resources Division.
#Map 47-4, Gods Lake Area, (Geology), Scale 1:31\680-Accompanying Publication by Dix (1951), Manitoba Mines Branch, Preliminary Report 47-4.
Map 4026 G, Gods Lake, (Aeromagnetic), Scale 1:63\360-Manitoba Mines Branch and Geological Survey of Canada.
Compiled/Revised by:
07-62 12-76 07-87

Powered by DB/Text WebPublisher, from