INVENTORY FILE NO.
NAME OF PROPERTY
1985 - Ram Petroleums Limited
52 - 401 Bay Street
The property is underlain by Amisk Group andesite that is intruded by
a quartz porphyry dyke that varies in width from 0.92 m to 3.01. Much of the
porphyry is sheared, and the edges of the dyke, in some outcrops, are altered to
sericite schist. The porphyry carries disseminated cubes of pyrite, is crossed
by veinlets of quartz, and locally holds lenses and irregular banded masses of
quartz up to 1.83 m long and 0.92 m wide. Some of the veinlets and quartz masses
are well mineralized with pyrite, galena and chalcopyrite and carry values in
MINERALS OR PRODUCTS OF VALUE
EXPLORATION AND DEVELOPMENT
The deposit is located on the NE corner of Century Island in Elbow
Lake, 63 km E of the town of Flin Flon.
The deposit was first recorded in
1919 as the Webb (29467) by Thomas Webb and the Garbutt (29466) by William
Garbutt. In 1920 the two participants exchanged one half interests in their
respective claims. In 1923 Mrs. Catherine Webb obtained full interest in the
Garbutt and William Garbutt obtained full interest in the Webb. Catherine Webb
took out mining lease 549 in 1925 to cover the Garbutt M.C. The same year
William Garbutt took out lease 690 on the Webb, M.C. During this period a small
mining plant and mill were installed. A shaft was sunk on the Garbutt claim to a
depth of 21 m. At a depth of 17 m a crosscut was driven 7 m and some drifting
done. Work came to a halt in 1931 and in 1934, the equipment on the property was
dismantled and removed.
In 1936 the property was acquired by Golden West
Mines Limited, who were controlled (70% owned) by Century Mining Corporation
Limited. During 1936 and early 1937 Century Mining Corporation carried out 1387
m of diamond drilling, followed by underground development. By the end of 1937 a
3 compartment shaft had been sunk to a depth of 88 m with stations established
and some drifting carried out at the 38 m and 76 m levels. In 1938, 1068 m of
diamond drilling was carried out and on the basis of development to that time
reserves were estimated at 91 200 tonnes with an average grade of 10.97 g/tonne
(0.32 oz/ton) gold and another 86 175 tonnes grading 9.25 g/tonne (0.27 oz/ton)
to 10.63 g/tonne (0.31 oz/ton) (Northern Miner, February 27, 1941).
In 1941 a
90 tonne mill was constructed but after operating only for a short time the mill
was closed down in January 1942 and all work on the property halted. Mining
developments at the time included a raise to surface from the 38 m level, and
part way from the 76 to the 38 m level.
Stopes were prepared on the 38 m
level for a length of 46 m, and a similar development partially completed on the
76 m level.
The lease was renewed in 1946.
Early in 1946 work again began
on the property. The shaft was deepened to 161 m and stations cut at depths of
114 and 153 m. Development work proceeded on the 2 bottom levels and in 1947
Century Mining Corporation acquired full ownership of the property from Golden
West Mines Limited.
In the spring of 1951, 2951 m of diamond drilling was
completed in 6 holes. The holes cut the deposit from 183 to 305 m vertically
below the surface.
In 1955 the property was assigned to A.D. MacPherson. He
renewed the 2 leases in 1967. In 1974 all interests in the property were
transferred to Fairfield Projects Limited and then to Marwil Industries Ltd. In
1976 they were transferred back to Fairfield Projects Limited.
In 1979 Ram
Petroleums Limited obtained an option to purchase the property, and in 1980
exercised its option. Proven reserves were estimated at 272\000 tonnes grading
12.0 g/tonne (0.35 oz/ton) gold in the Webb-Garbutt zones. The zones are open
along strike and to depth (Mineral Policy Sector; Ram Petroleums Limited). In
1980 geological, geochemical, EM, and MAG surveys indicated extensions of the
known veins. This was followed up with geophysical surveys and diamond drilling
The only recorded production was in 1942 when a gold bar weighing 1.85
kg (59.6 oz) was poured. Two weeks later the property closed down.
1959; Elbow-Heming Lakes area, Manitoba; Geological
Survey of Canada, Memoir 305, 1959.
Manitoba Mines Branch:
Files, Century Mining Corporation.
Mineral Policy Sector:
Files, Century Mining Corporation, Dwyer Elbow Lake Mining Syndicate Limited,
Golden West Mines Limited, Ram Petroleums Limited.
Map 63 K/15W, Elbow Lake (Topographic), Scale: 1:50 000; Surveys and
Mapping Branch, Ottawa.
Map 1072A, Elbow Lake (Geological), Scale: 1:63 360 -
Accompanying publication by McGlynn (1959); Geological Survey of Canada.
63 K/15SW, Scale: 1:31 360; Circa 1972, Claim Map Series, Mining Recording,
Manitoba Mines Branch.
Preliminary Map, 1977, CP-7, Elbow Lake, 1:50 000,
Manitoba Energy and Mines, Geological Services.
The deposit flanks a magnetic high.
Diamond drilling was recorded
on the nearby G.L., Arrow and Lindgren claims.
A second deposit, the Bow
vein, 214 m to the NW of the property described, has been exposed by surface
trenching and diamond drilling. The vein, located in schistose basic flows, is
about 76 m long, and has an average width of 0.61 m. Mineralization is similar
to that at the Century Mine.
RM AJ JR
02-76 06-81 10-85 19-- 20--
Powered by DB/Text WebPublisher