MINERAL INVENTORY FILE NO.
862
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
PRODUCT
Lignite
NTS AREA
62F2SE
REF.
COL 2
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
NAME OF PROPERTY
Henderson Mine
OWNER OF OPERATOR ADDRESS
Goodlands Mine Company
OBJECT LOCATED
____________
MINING DIVISION
__________
Latitude
4901'
Longitude
10034'
Uncertainty (m)
___
UTM Zone
_____
Easting
_______
Northing
_______
L.S./Quarter Section
14
Section
13
Township
1
Range
24 W
DESCRIPTION OF DEPOSIT
Coal of the Tertiary Turtle Mountain Formation was mined at the Henderson Farm to be used as a source of local fuel. The workings of this mine are in the floor of the ravine which traverses the property. The coal (lignite) lies at depths varying from 1.5 m to 2.7 m below the surface. A section below the overburden yields 15.2 cm of dark carbonaceous clay, followed by a 25.4 cm to 30.4 cm seam of lignite. The lower two units in the section consist of a 15.2 cm to 30.4 cm unit of dark carbonaceous clay underlain by a 1.1 m seam of lignite.
Chemical Properties: A single analysis of coal from the Henderson mine yielded: 35.45% moisture, 23.64% volatile matter, 32.58% fixed carbon, 8.33% ash, and 1.53% sulphur.
Physical Properties: B.T.U. per lb 6,750 (as received), or 8,847 (air dried). The coal is non-coking, and is dark brown.
Use: Was used as a local source of fuel.
ASSOCIATED MINERALS OR PRODUCTS OF VALUE
N/A
HISTORY OF EXPLORATION AND DEVELOPMENT
The workings are located in the NW1/4 of Sec. 13, about 16 km south and 3.2 km west of Deloraine on patented land.
1931: The operation commenced on October 17. During the early stages of operation some lignite was produced after stripping with teams and scrapers, in the floor of a shallow ravine, having a northeast-southwest trend and draining to the southwest. Lignite was first discovered under some 1.5 m of overburden, in the ravine. A small area was then cleared of overburden which averaged 2.3 m in depth and lignite then taken from the open-cut.
Later, lignite was mined underground from two entries, 152.4 m apart, driven into the northwest flank of the ravine. Good lump lignite was obtained from the west working. A total of 998 tonnes of lignite was produced between October 17, 1931 and March 1932. The operation was under the direction of John Nestibo.
1932: In August the mine was taken over by George Cain of Waskada. On August 13 he commenced stripping with a Hold 20 caterpillar tractor and a Fresno scraper. Up to a maximum of 5.1 m of overburden wa removed by this method and 1,090 tonnes of coal were mined and sold during the remainder of the year.
1933 - 1934: As the production of coal serves the local market, mining operations are restricted to the fall and winter months.
1935 - 1937: The coal was mined by the pillar and stall method and recovered through a slopping adit from the surface.
During 1937, 1,754 tonnes of coal were removed.
1938 - 1939: 1,215 tonnes of lignite were moved.
In the summer the mine was sold to Goodlands Mine Company, under the management of H.F. Kushnerus.
The head frame, destroyed by fire, was rebuilt, the mine reopened September 20, 1939 and operations continued on a small scale until April 20, 1940.
The pillar and stall method of working was continued, but owing to the particularly mild winter and the consequent curtailment of local orders, work was concentrated chiefly in driving a long entry to the west and winning stalls to the south. A ventilation shaft was sunk near the western extremity of the mine. A total of 1,077 tonnes was removed during the year.
1940: The pillar and stall method of working was still used. The coal was hauled to the surface by direct steam haulage through a sloping adit, and from the forces to the bottom of the incline by hand tramming. Output during the current season was curtailed to some extent by the relatively long tramming haul, though the main entry was being driven to the westward for the purpose of opening a new haulage adit on the west side of the property, where the greater part of the coal now lies. A total of 1,539 tonnes of coal was produced in the calendar year.
1941: Operations were carried on through a sloping adit from the surface, though underground tramming routes had increased to such an extent as to require the use of a pony. Production was curtailed by the scarcity of labour. A total of 1,119 tonnes of lignite were removed during the year.
1942 - 1943: A total of 1,217 tonnes of coal was removed.
Because the extensive haulage from the working face to the surface had exceeded its economic limit in the producing mine, the management started a new mine in the spring of 1943. Output was maintained until July, while the new mine was driven intermittently as labour permitted. The new surface entry, located about 227 m southeast of the former mine, was driven at a slope of 1 in 3, and cut the coal seam at a depth of approximately 12.1 m vertically below the surface. A shortage of labour caused the mine to cease operation in October. 906 tonnes of coal was produced.
HISTORY OF PRODUCTION
1931: The operation commenced on October 17, 1931 under the direction of John Nestibo. Lignite was first discovered under some 1.5 m of overburden in the ravine in the NW1/4 of sec. 13. A small are was cleared of overburden which averaged 2.3 m in depth and lignite was removed from the open-cut. A total of 998 tonnes of lignite was removed.
1932: In August the operation was taken over by George Cain of Waskada. The pillar and stall method of mining was used to extract the coal. 1,090 tonnes of coal was removed.
1933 - 1939: As the production of coal serves the local market mining operations were restricted to the fall and winter months. Production ranged from 1,229 tonnes to 1,953 tonnes during this period. The operation was sold to Goodlands Mine Company on September 20, 1929.
1940: Output during the year was curtailed to some extent by the relatively long tramming haul, though the main entry was being driven to the westward for the purpose of opening a new haulage adit on the west side of the property where the greater part of the coal now lies.
A total of 1,508 tonnes of coal was produced.
1941 - 1943: Production curtailed due to scarcity of labour; coal removal ranged from 906 tonnes to 1,217 tonnes annually during this period. The operation ceased in October 1943.
1996: The Henderson Mine remains closed at this time.
Shipping Point: Henderson Farm
Carrier: Truck.
Material Shipped: Coal
Destination: Local market.
REFERENCES
Annual Reports: 4th, pp. 32-33; 5th, p. 24; 6th, pp. 25-25; 7th, p. 35; 8th, p. 34; 9th, pp. 48-49; 10th, p. 53, 11th, pp. 46-47; 12th, pp. 42-43; 13th, p. 38; 14th, p. 32; 15th, p. 46; 16th, p. 37.
Bannatyne, B.B.
1978: Summary of available data on lignite deposits, Turtle Mountain, Manitoba; Manitoba Mineral Resources Division Economic Geological Report 77/1, pp. 5, 6.
Cameron, E.L.
1949: Coal (Lignite) in Manitoba; Unpublished report Manitoba Mines Branch.
Doerksen, A.D.
1971: The Saga of Turtle Mountain Coal; 129p., D.W. Friesen & Sons Ltd., Altona, pp. 99-108.
Industrial Minerals Geologist Files, Manitoba Mineral Resource Division.
MAP REFERENCES
Map 62 F/2, Waskada, (Topography), Sc. 1:50 000, Surveys & Mapping Branch, Ottawa.
Fig. 2a, Location of former lignite operations at Turtle Mountain, Sc. 1:42 240, in Bannatyne, 1978, p. 5.
Map 12, Industrial Minerals Producers (Index), Sc. 1:1 000 000, Manitoba Mineral Resources Division.
URL
N/A
REMARKS
See M.I. Card 62 F/2 - COL 4 for information on the Salter Farm mine which located on l.s. 15-13-1-24W. This operation was under the direction of John Nesbito from 1932 until 1938.
NOTES
N/A
Compiled/Revised by:
CWJ KH
Date
08-79 06-96

Powered by DB/Text WebPublisher, from