INVENTORY FILE NO.
NAME OF PROPERTY
City of Winnipeg Quarries
(East and West)
City of Winnipeg Equipment and Materials
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 3P1
11, 12, 14
Stony Mountain is a rounded hill 15 to 24 m higher than the
surrounding plain. It comprises an outlier of the Gunton and Penitentiary
Members of the Ordovician Stony Mountain Formation. Approximately 15 m of
section is exposed, consisting of 6 m (only 3.5 in the quarries) of pale
yellow-buff, faintly mottled, finely crystalline dolomite of the Gunton Member
underlain by about 6 m of dusky yellow to reddish and greenish-grey argillaceous
dolomite of the Penitentiary Member; the latter shows abundant fossil casts and
molds. Underlying the Penitentiary Member is about 20m (3 m exposed) of greenish
to purple-grey argillaceous limestone interbedded with calcareous shale of the
Gunn Member. The overburden averages 0.4 m in thickness in the quarry
Chemical Properties: CaC03 from 48.6 - 63.79% and MgC03 from 14.85 -
44.19%. For Chemical analyses see Wells (1905), Parks (1916), and Goudge
Physical Properties: For physical properties see Parks
Uses: Crushed stone for street paving and as asphalt filler,
dimension stone, crushed stone for concrete aggregate (from the Gunton); crushed
stone and decorative stone slabs (from the Penitentiary and Gunn).
MINERALS OR PRODUCTS OF VALUE
EXPLORATION AND DEVELOPMENT
The crushing plant for the Stony Mountain quarry is located in l.s. 3,
Sec 15, Tp. 13, R. 2E, about 24 km north of Winnipeg.
1900: The Gunn quarry
located on the northwest face of the hill is l.s. 14, Sec. 11, Tp. 13, R. 2 EPM,
was being operated by John Gunn & Sons of Winnipeg.
1905: The quarry was
producing rubble and crushed stone. According to Wells (1905) the quarry was 30
m2; the working face was 6 m thick overlain by 15 cm of overburden, but the
quarry was reported to be 12 m deep (Dowling, 1900 and Wells, 1905). The quarry
had tow steam drills and a steam derrick, a crushing outfit and a draw kiln. The
top of the kiln was level with the quarry floor so crushed stone was easily
carted to the shaft of the kiln. The lime (grey and slow slaking) was drawn out
of the bottom and shovelled directly into boxcars on the spur to the Canadian
Pacific Railway. The City of Winnipeg purchased a quarry site in l.s. 2 and 3,
Sec. 14 across a road allowance north of the Gunn quarry. They moved the mill
(and much of the town) dismantled from Little Stony Mountain and reassembled it
on the quarry site (See I.M.I. card 62 H/14 STN 1). A new quarry was also being
opened up 0.8 km east of the Gunn quarry by the Manitoba Construction Company of
1913: The City of Winnipeg quarry was 450 m long by 50 m wide; 15
cm of overburden were stripped near the middle but it deepened to 1.2 m at the
northeast end. In quarrying, holes 6 m deep were sunk 1.2 m back from the face
and 1.2 - 1.5 m apart. Dynamite is used to blow the whole face down onto the
floor. The comapny had three crushers, 1 electric drill and three steam drills.
50 400 m3 of crushed stone were produced. Manitoba Quarries Limited now held the
old Gunn quarry. It was only about 300 m long and the working face was 3.5 m
high. The quarry was not being worked in 1913 but a 113 tonne crusher was
installed and a spur connected to the property with the railway. Manitoba
Quarries also held the Kelly Quarry (formerly Modern Quarry Co.) in l.s. 15 and
16, Sec. 11, Tp. 13. (It may have been the Manitoba Construction Company
Quarry). The excavation was 90 m by 45 m and 3.5 m deep.
1924: The City of
Winnipeg installed a central concrete mixing plant on Ross Avenue and began
shipping their stone there. After the overburden was removed by hand labour and
dumped, and the face had been blasted, the stone was trammed to the crusher on
0.9 and 0.4 m3 skips on a narrow gauge railway track. The skips were hauled by
horses and dumped into the crusher from a triple. The crusher was on the side of
the hill so the hopper was level with the quarry floor. A 15 m elevator carried
the stone to the seizing screens.
1927: The city quarry was now 245 m2 and
4.2 m deep. An electric shovel removed the 75 cm of overburden. Cable-hauled
trams were now bing used to haul the stone to the crusher. The quarry supplied
the city streets and Canadian Pacific Railway with crushed stone and the CPR
with rubble. Ten 25 m3 carloads of crushed stone were being produced daily. The
old Gunn quarry (now about 460 m by 300 m by 3 m) was not in operation.
The Municipality of Rockwood was operating the old Gunn quarry for crushed
1944: About 1944 the City of Winnipeg acquired to old Gunn quarry from
the Municipality of Rockwood. It was now separated from the city quarry by road
allowance. They proposed to quarry the stone in the road allowance and extend
operations into the Gunn quarry. The City replaced the narrow gauge tracks with
modern quarry trucks. The working face wsa 4.2 m high. A spur track from the
Arborg branch of the C.P.R. served the quarry. The chief product was crushed but
asphalt filler was also produced and material crushed to under 5 mm was widely
shipped for use as tennis court dressing. The Kelly quarry was no longer in
1946: 23 500 tonnes of dolomite were quarried and screened by the
City for use as road metal.
1947: A grate hammer mill was installed to
replace the secondary gyratory crushers: 59 440 tonnes of crushed stone were
1951: Work on a new crushing and screening plant was started.
Production was 106 300 tonnes.
1953: Production was 160 600 tonnes.
The City of Winnipeg acquired the Kelly quarry and 4.2 hectares of land in the
northwest corner of Sec. 12 (just east of Kelly's quarry).
1964: The old City
quarry was now 300 m by 540 m with a maximum depth of 7.8 m. There was a pit in
the quarry floor 240 m by 69 m, 1.8 into the Penitentiary Member. The old Gunn
quarry was 600 m by 150 m with a maximum depth of about 10 m. The old Kelly's
quarry was 300 m by 200 m by 2.7 m. Quarrying location lease M527 was taken out
by the City of Winnipeg to cover the road allowance to the east of the Old Kelly
1970: The pit in northwest 1/4 of Sec. 12, (east of the old Kelly
Quarry) was not 600 m by 120 m.
1975: Lease M527 was cancelled.
Quarrying continued to the southeast of the old Kelly quarry.
Rock products Ltd. re-opened the old quarry in l.s. 1, Sec. 14, and produced
1991-1993: The quarry known as City of Winnipeg West
(03-14-13-2E1) was shut down, blasting was ceased but extraction was still
occurring. Operation did not occur in the area known as City of Winnipeg Quarry
East (Sec. 12, Tp. 13, Rge.. 2EPM, l.s. 13) since 1992 of earlier.
of Winnipeg West and East both were not in production.
1994: During 1994 City
of Winnipeg East remained closed while City of Winnipeg West was opened and
extraction was occurring.
1995: Both the East and West quarries were
1900: The Gunn quarry was being operated by John Gunn & Sons of
1905: The quarry was producing crushed stone, rubble and lime. The
City of Winnipeg purchased a quarry site they reassembled the mill and much of
the town dismantled from Little Stony Mountain. The Manitoba Construction
Company opened a new quarry 0.8 km east of the Gunn quarry.
1913: The City of
Winnipeg quarry produced 50 400 m3 of crushed stone. Manitoba Quarries Limited
held the old Gunn quarry but it was not being worked. They also held the Kelly
quarry (formerly Modern Quarry Company). Production from the City quarry to 1913
averaged 52 700 cubic meters except for 1906 when production ws 89 600 cubic
1927: Ten 25 m3 car loads of crushed stone were being produced daily
by the City quarry. The old Gunn quarry was not in operation.
municipality of Rockwood was operating the old Gunn quarry for crushed
1944: About 1944 The City of Winnipeg acquired the old Gunn quarry
from the Municipality of Rockwood. The chief product was crushed stone for
concrete aggregate and mastic pavements but asphalt filler was also produced and
material crushed to under 5 mm was widely shipped for use as tennis court
1946: 23 500 tonnes of dolomite were quarried and screened by the
City for use as road metal.
1947: 49 400 tonnes of crushed stone were
produced in 1947, 76 000 tonnes in 1948, 64 000 tonnes in 1949, 127 000 tonnes
in 1950, 106 000 in 1951, 100 000 tonnes in 1952 and 160 600 tonnes in
1978: The City is now quarrying to the southeast of the old Kelly
1978-1992: Bison Rock Products Ltd. re-opened the quarry in l.s. Sec.
1992-1995: The Stony Mountain Quarry is non-operational.
Ann. Repts., Man. Mines Br., 19th, p. 84; 20th. 105-106; 21st, p. 92;
22nd, p. 87; 23rd, p. 91; 24th, p. 91; 26th, p. 85.
Ordovician Geology of Lake Winnipeg and Adjacent Areas; Manitoba Mines Branch,
Published 51-6, p. 18-21.
1971: Industrial Minerals of the
Sedimentary Area of Southern Manitoba; Geological Association of Canada, Special
Paper No. 9, p. 245.
Davies, J.F., Bannatyne, B.B., Barry, G.S., and McCabe,
1962: Geology and Mineral Resources of Manitoba; Manitoba Mines Branch,
p. 136 and 170.
Dowling, D.B. (and Tyrrell)
1900: Report on the Geology of
the West Shore and Islands of Lake Winnipeg; Geological Survey of Canada,
Ottawa, p. 88F and 90F; Annual Report 1898.
Geological Association Canada,
and Mineral Association Canada
1970: Guidebook, Field Trip No. 5, Lower
Paleozoic of the Interlake area, Manitoba; 23rd Annual Meeting, p.
1944: Limestones of Canada, Their Occurrence and
Characteristics, Pt. V, western Canada; No. 811; Mines Branch, Ottawa, p.
1930: I-Preliminary Report on the Limestones of
Northern and Western Ontario and of the Prairie Provinces; Investigations of
Mineral Resources and the Mining Industry, 1928, No. 710, Mines Branch,
Industrial Minerals Geologist's File, Man. M.R.D.
1916: Report on the Building and Ornamental Stones of Canada, Vol. IV;
Mines Branch, Ottawa, pp. 66-70, 72-76.
Wells, J. Walter:
Preliminary Report on the Limestones and the Lime Industry of Manitoba; Mines
Branch, Ottawa, Report Number 7, p. 48-49.
Bamburak, James, Bezys,
1995: Capital Region Project, Quarry Descriptions 1995.
1996: Personal Communication.
Map 12, Industrial Minerals Producers (Index), 1:1 000 000, Manitoba
Mineral Resources Division.
Map 51-56, Lake Winnipeg and Adjacent Areas
(Geol.), 1:506 980, Accomp. Publ. 51-56 by Ballie (1951), Manitoba Mines
Figure 4, Ordovician Stratigraphic Cross-Section Accomp. Publication
51-56 by Baillie (1952, Manitoba Mines Branch).
Map 62 I/3b, Stony Mountain
(topographic), 1:25 000, Surveys and Mapping Branch, Ottawa.
Plates I and II
(pages 9 & 10), Location Map and Detail Map 1:253 440 and 1:47 520, Accomp.
Thesis on Stony Mountain and Stonewall Formations, by D.L. Smith, 1963,
University of Manitoba.
Geological Highway Map of Manitoba
(1994), Sc. 1:1 000 000, Manitoba Mineral Resources Division.
Mineral Map of
Manitoba (1980), Sc. 1:1 000 000, Manitoba Mineral Resources Division.
The Tower Quarry, a small shallow quarry was operated in connection
with Stony Mountain Penitentiary to obtain stone for building purposes. It is
located on the Penitentiary Grounds: l.s. 16, Sec. 2, Tp. 13, Rge.. 2 EPM. A
large quarry pit is located in l.s. 1, Sec. 14, Tp. 13 Rge.. 2 EPM.
Kelly Bros. and Mitchell owned the land, but no work had been done. No more
information is available on the later removal of a large quantity of Gunton
dolomite; the quarry was re-opened by Bison Rock Products Ltd. in 1978. Manitoba
Quarries, Limited owned a 2 hectare property where stone was formerly quarried
for lime burning, referred to by Parks (1916) as at southwest corner of Sec. 13,
Tp. 13 Rge.. 2E (Stony Mountain).
This site is known to have fossils of
brachiopods and corals in the quarry.
UQI of City of Winnipeg Quarry
East: IQ/ 13-12-13-02E1
UQI of City of Winnipeg Quarry West: IQ/