INVENTORY FILE NO.
NAME OF PROPERTY
Gypsumville - Old Quarry
Domtar Construction Materials Ltd.
1405 Sargeant Avenue
MB R3E 0G6
5, 10-12, 14
Gypsum of the Jurassic Amaranth Formation is used for the production
of plaster of paris, cement and wallboard. The gypsum in the original quarry
consists of the beds 0.3 m to 0.9 m in thickness, which are separated by thin
partings of clay. The gypsum is white, but the enclosed clay may give the rock a
grey, pink red or brownish appearance. The massive gypsum is generally finely
crystalline, and it may be so finely crystalline that it appears dull white and
amorphous. Satinspar occurs as stringers 1.25 cm to 2.54 cm thick; and the
stringers are usually oriented along the bedding planes. The central parts of
some of the lower beds of gypsum are composed of anhydrite.
The thickness of
the gypsum beds and depth of overburden are not precisely known in several
places beyond the quarry limits. The gypsum occurs mainly in ridges which rise
as much as 12.1 m above the level of the surrounding country. The topography in
the area is very irregular because of the formation of sinkholes within the
gypsum unit. (see Bannatyne 1959). All the gypsum deposits in the area occur
within the Lake St. Martin crater structure.
Chemical Properties: The
original quarry analyses ranged from 90.05% to 95% gypsum, and 1.46% to 3.37%
magnesium oxide. The samples also had a small percentage of clay (Brownell,
Physical Properties: See above.
Use: Plaster of Paris, land
fertilizer, cement, plaster board.
MINERALS OR PRODUCTS OF VALUE
Anhydrite, glauberite (Na2So4CaSO4)
EXPLORATION AND DEVELOPMENT
The quarry is located approximately 257 km northwest of Winnipeg, and
4.8 km north of the town of Gypsumville. It is on leases and patented land
controlled by Domtar Construction Materials Limited.
1888 - Tyrrell examined
some of the deposits and described the area.
1899 - The Manitoba Union Mining
Company, Limited was incorporated in September.
1900 - The company staked out
a large area near Gypsumville. A crushing and calcining mill was erected at
Davis Point on Lake Manitoba.
1901 - Production commenced and the deposits
were worked as open quarries. Average weekly output was 63.4 tonnes during the
shipping season. The main workings were located in N1/2 of Sec. 26, Twp. 32, R.
9W. A seam of 3.3 m of gypsum was quarried.
1904 - Manitoba Union Mining
Company was purchased by the Manitoba Gypsum Company. The gypsum was calcined at
the small mill on Lake Manitoba and shipped down the lake to Totogan (near
McArthur's Landing) and thence by rail to Winnipeg.
1905 - According to Wells
(1905) the ore is quarried with augers and blasted with 60 per cent dynamite.
Mining is done during the winter season to allow sleigh haulage on snow and ice
over roads which are almost impassable in the summer season. The rock is carried
from the stockpiles by wheelbarrows, delivered to a jaw crusher passing 5.0 cm
rock and fines to a bucket elevator feeding a French horizontal buhrstone mill,
which grinds the rock to 80 mesh and finer. The quarry shows a working face 6.0
m high and 152 m long, as of 1905.
1906 - The mill burned down and a new mill
was erected in Winnipeg.
1909 - The new mill was destroyed by fire. The
Dominion Gypsum was formed.
1910 - A third mill of reinforced concrete was
built by Manitoba Gypsum Company. During the winter a branch line of the
Canadian Northern Railway reached the Gypsumville quarries, and shipments by an
all-rail route were commenced.
1911 - Quarry Lease 110 in l.s. 10 was issued
to G.B. Hyde.
1911 - Dominion Gypsum Company built a 181 tonne mill and plant
in Winnipeg. The raw gypsum for the plant was purchased from Manitoba Gypsum
1915 - The 2 companies amalgamated, and carried on under the name of
Manitoba Gypsum Company. Production ranged from 18,100 to 54,300 tonnes between
1910 and 1928.
1920 - Prior to 1920 all gypsum was shipped from the west
quarry, and eventually this quarry was cut into an "L" shaped opening. The
extension was 243 m long and 45.6m wide and eventually led to the opening of a
"new" Eastern quarry.
1921 - The old western quarry was closed and all the
gypsum was taken put of the new Eastern quarry starting in July. The rock is
quarried by the usual open face methods; a Bucyrus steam shovel loads the gypsum
into special 'V'-bottom cars which are kept in service between the quarries and
1933 - Renewal of Lease 110.
1953 - The Company began quarrying
operations at a new site approximately 4.8 km north of the old quarry. The
company renewed lease 110.
1959 - Lease 110 was assigned to Dominion Tar and
Chemical Company Limited, and was renewed in 1965.
1965 - The company name
changed to Domtar Construction Materials Limited.
1973 - The company renewed
1968 - A drill hole located south of the east arm of the old
quarry intersected gypsum, anhydrite and some glauberite, (See hole LSM-3, in
McCabe and Bannatyne (1970)).
1901 - Quarrying commenced in the NW1/4 of Section 26. All rock was
shipped to Davis Point for calcining, and thence to Totogan for shipment to
Winnipeg by rail. Average weekly output was 63.4 tonnes during the shipping
1906 - The mill at Davis Point burned down and a new mill was erected
1909 - The new mill was destroyed by fire.
1910 - A third
mill was built of reinforced concrete. During the winter a branch line of the
Canadian Northern Railway reached the Gypsumville Quarry, and shipments by an
all rail route were commenced.
1920 - Prior to 1920 all gypsum was shipped
from the west quarry and eventually this quarry was cut into an "L" shaped
opening extension was 243m long and 45.6 m wide, and eventually led to the
opening of a new Eastern quarry.
1920 - 1953 - Continuous production from the
Eastern quarry. In 1953 the company began quarrying in a new location north of
the "old quarry" (See 62O/15 GYP 4).
Shipping Point - Gypsumville
Shipped - Gypsum
Destination - Winnipeg
Distance from Mine - 257
Carrier - Truck
Annual Report: Man. Mines Branch, 1943, p. 49-52.
1925: The Gypsum Industry in Manitoba; CIMM Vol. 28.
Bannatyne, B.B. 1959:
Gypsum-Anhydrite Deposits of Manitoba; Manitoba Mines Branch Publ. 58-2,
Bannatyne, B.B. 1977: Educational Series 77/1, Man. MRD.
G.M. 1931: Gypsum in Canada; Mines Branch, Canada, Rept. No. 245.
1930: The Gypsum Industry of Canada; Mines Branch, Canada, Rept. No. 732, p.
De Wet, J.P. 1934: The Story of Gypsum in Manitoba, Canadian Mining
Journal; Jan. 1934.
Hoque, M.H. 1967: Structure and Petrology of the
Gypsumville Gypsum Deposit; Unpublished M.Sc. thesis, U of Sask.
Manitoba Gypsum Company; Corporation File, Man. MRD.
McCabe, H.R. and
Bannatyne, B.B. 1970: Lake St. Martin Crypto-Explosion Crater and Geology of the
Surrounding Area. Manitoba Mines Branch, Geol. Paper 3/70.
Report of Gypsum Properties of Gypsum Lime and Alabastine Canada Limited
Gypsumville Manitoba, on File Man. MRD.
Parks, W.A. 1916: Report on the
Building and Ornamental Stones of Canada, Vol. IV, Provinces of Manitoba,
Saskatchewan and Alberta; Mines Branch, Canada, Report No. 388.
1887: Geological Survey of Canada Ann, Rept. 1887, Vol. III, N.S., pt. 1, p.
Wallace, R.C. and MacLean, A. 1914: Gypsum and Salt in Manitoba Geol.
Surv. Canada, Sum. Report 1913, p. 165-169.
Wallace, R.C. 1915: Gypsum and
Brines in Manitoba; Geological Survey Canada, Sum. Rept. 1914, p.
Wallace, R.C. and Greet, L. 1927: The Non-Metallic Mineral Resources
of Manitoba; Industrial Dev. Board of Manitoba, 93p.; (Gypsum; p.
Wardlaw, N.C., Stauffer, M.R., and Hoque, M. 1969: Striations, giant
grooves, and superposed drag folds, Interlake area, Manitoba; Can. J. Earth
Sci., Vol. 6, No. 4, p. 577-593.
Wells, J.W. 1905: Preliminary Report on the
Limestone and the Lime Industry of Manitoba; Mines Branch, Ottawa; Rept. No. 7,
*Map 62O/15, Gypsumville (Topo.), 1:50 000; Surveys and Mapping Br.,
Map 12, Industrial Minerals Producers (Index), 1:1000 000; Man.
#Location Map, Geology Map, Figure 5; Hoque (1967).
The original quarry is located on the south end of a 4.8 km ridge
which extends to the north from Section 26 and 35, Township 32, Range 9W, into
Section 2, Township 33, Range 9W. The quarry is located on Section 26, Township
32, Range 9W.
The quarry is over 0.8 km wide, and is shaped like an inverted
The west arm of the quarry extends 356 m in a northerly direction and is
up to 121m in width; the height of the west wall is between 3.0 m to 6.0 m. The
west arm was abandoned because of an increase in anhydrite content. The east arm
of the original quarry is approximately half the size of the west. The beds on
the east wall dip gently to the east. The north wall of the quarry that joins
the east and west pits ranges from 1.8 m to 6.0 m in height. Aside from minor
anticlinal folding, the beds are practically horizontal when traced the length
of the original quarry.
The company holds claims to 9 other gypsum deposits
that have commercial development possibilities.
Powered by DB/Text WebPublisher