Mines (Regulatory)

Exploration and Mining Guide

Road Work

In General

When the time comes to develop, or upgrade the road access to your exploration project there are some basic guidelines to follow.

Whether your project is located along a provincial trunk highway or a provincial road, permits are required if you plan to:

  • Build a new access driveway onto the highway/road.
  • Change an existing driveway.
  • Place any structures (including advertising signs, wells, septic fields, excavation pits, stockpiles of materials) on, under, or above the ground, or to change the use of land within a control area.
  • Relocate, rebuild, or make additions to a structure within a controlled area.
  • Place trees or plantings within 15.2 metres of the edge of a highway/road, but outside the boundaries of an incorporated city, town, village, or unincorporated village district.
  • Discharge water, or other liquid materials into a ditch along a departmental road.

Check Your Location

Provincial trunk highways (those routes marked PTH #1-110) are the responsibility of the Highway Traffic Board, an agency of Infrastructure and Transportation.

To apply for any required permits contact the Highway Traffic Board. Phone 945-8912.

Turnaround Time: Four - five calendar weeks.

Provincial roads

(those routes marked #200-600) are the responsibility of Infrastructure and Transportation.

To apply for any required permits contact Infrastructure and Transportation.

Turnaround Time: Four - five calendar weeks.

For Further Guidelines

These two categories generally cover those roads involved in exploration and mining projects. If you need further direction on the guidelines or information on a specific route, contact the Department of Infrastructure and Transportation at 204-945-5658.

If you are working in a Conservation area, a work permit for road upgrades or new construction is required. Your first contact should be the closest Sustainable Development district/regional office.

Additional Information:

The Highway Traffic Board has published a booklet outlining the new Advertising Sign Policy. These guidelines can also be applied to provincial roads.

Related Acts and Regulations

back to top