Mines (Regulatory)

Exploration and Mining Guide

Working Towards the Same Goal

Here's a brief overview of each department's role in seeing that your project moves ahead on target.

Growth, Enterprise and Trade

Our main regulatory responsibility lies with The Mines and Minerals Act. Whether you're applying for a company prospecting licence, airborne survey licence, a mineral disposition or moving from exploration to production, Growth, Enterprise and Trade will be involved. Make your contact point our recording offices located in Winnipeg and Flin Flon. As well, our regional office in Thompson will accept any application for licences or mineral dispositions and forward them to the appropriate office for processing. In addition, we offer a full slate of information and resource services as outlined in Screening Opportunities.

Unit 360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3G 3P2
Phone: 204-945-6505
Fax: 204-945-8427

Flin Flon
143 Main Street
Flin Flon, Manitoba, Canada R8A 1K2
Phone: 204-687-1635
Fax: 204-687-1634

Note: Claims recording services are based in Flin Flon and Winnipeg. As part of our service, applications filed in the regional office will be automatically forwarded to the appropriate recording office.

Department of Sustainable Development

For exploration and mining projects, there are several relevant permitting branches within the Department of Sustainable Development. Together these branches are responsible for acts such as;

The branches are as follows:

Headquarters Operations plus Sustainable Development regional and district offices are the main contacts responsible for issuing appropriate permits authorizing activities within these designated areas.
Contact: Director, Headquarters Operations 204-945-6647

Lands and Geomatics Branch handles all applications for Crown land lease/permits and amendments or assignments of a lease/permit.
Contact: Director, Lands and Geomatics Branch 204-476-3441

Forestry Branch is responsible for: issuing general permits for all work carried out within provincial forests; issuing timber permits authorizing the cutting and clearing of timber from project sites located on all provincial Crown lands.
Contact: Director, Forestry Branch 204-945-7998

Parks and Natural Areas Branch issues work permits/licences for exploration and development in Manitoba's provincial parks.
Contact: Director, Parks and Natural Areas Branch 204-945-4362

Wildlife and Ecosystem Protection Branch issues wildlife management area (WMA) use permits for exploration work to be conducted in WMAs throughout the province.
Contact: Wildlife Lands Specialist, Wildlife and Ecosystem Protection Branch 204-945-7763

Manitoba Water Stewardship issues the Water Rights licence required once a production decision has been made. The licence addresses such issues as the use of water for milling and tailings.
Contact: Water Licensing Section, Manitoba Water Stewardship 204-945-6488

Environmental Approvals Branch

The Environmental Approvals Branch is responsible for issuing licences under the Environment Act and for the coordination and evaluation of Environmental Impact Statements. It takes the lead role in implementing the Federal Metal Mining Effluent Regulation through The Environment Act licensing process. In addition, Sustainable Development administers The Public Health Act, which deals with issues such as atmospheric pollution, sanitation, food and food handling, water works and sewage systems. The Dangerous Goods Handling and Transportation Act and The Fisheries Act are also administered by this department.

Contact: Environmental Engineer 204-945-7013

Labour and Immigration

Mines Inspection Branch

The main focus of this branch is the safety and health of the people on the project. Its activities are based on the Workplace Safety and Health Act and regulations thereunder. This, for example, is where you would apply for a blaster's licence. If you're conducting advanced exploration or are planning a new mine project, then you'll need to file a mining report with the department. The report would deal with issues ranging from advanced exploration, mine and shaft development plans to mine operating plans and ventilation systems data. This report is typically done in conjunction with the filing of an Environmental Impact Statement.

Once you begin work on your exploration property, contact the Mines Inspections Branch.

A Mines Inspector will be assigned to help ensure that all the required codes and regulations are met.

Contact: Dennis Fontaine, Acting Director, Mine Safety Branch, 204-677-6821

Fire Commissioner

The main concern of this office is The Fires Prevention and Emergency Response Act and The Manitoba Fire Code regulations under the act. This office also administers The Buildings and Mobile Homes Act and The Manitoba Building/Plumbing Codes.

Contact: Manager, Codes and Standards 204-945-3397

Mechanical and Engineering Branch is responsible for the approval and inspection of such items as boilers, pressure vessels, elevators, direct-fixed propane mine airheaters, oil-fired equipment.

Contact: Mechanical and Engineering Branch 204-945-3373

There are several other service areas and agencies within Labour, all geared to supporting your mining initiatives. They include: Conciliation, Mediation and Pay Equities Services Branch, Workplace Safety and Health Library, Occupational Hygiene Unit, and the Occupational Health Branch.

For additional information on any of these services contact: Director, Mines Inspections Branch, Labour, 204-945-0848.

Manitoba Infrastructure

If your exploration, or new mine site is located off a limited access or provincial trunk highway (PTH #1-110), contact the Highway Traffic Board which administers The Highways Protection Act.

If your site is located adjacent to a provincial road (PR #200-600) you'll work with the Manitoba Infrastructure, which is responsible for that particular act.

The Director of Regional Operations in the Highways Region you are working in, will give you further assistance if your location falls outside of these two categories.

If you need information on the moving of heavy or oversize loads, contact Manitoba Infrastructure.

Contact: Motor Carrier Permits and Development, Manitoba Infrastructure 204-945-3961

Chairperson, Highway Traffic Board 204-945-8912

back to top