Growing Competitiveness
Planting Knowledge in Manitoba

From a booklet to help producers understand their options for sow group housing, to a symposium for Manitoba beekeepers, Growing Forward 2's Growing Competitiveness Program - Agri-Extension is planting knowledge in Manitoba.

"We've provided funding to more than a dozen group-learning activities in the last year," says Chipo Hambira, program officer with the Growing Forward 2 Secretariat. "The impact of these funding programs is echoing throughout the agricultural industry by giving producers access to the knowledge they need to make confident decisions for their businesses."

Supporting group learning activities

Growing Competitiveness – Agri-Extension provides financial assistance to agricultural organizations and agribusinesses. It supports the development and delivery of group learning activities for knowledge sharing, information transfer, networking and partnership development.

Some recent projects that received funding include the Direct Farm Marketing Conference, Manitoba Beef Producers AGM, Canadian Global Grains Symposium, Educational Seminars on Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea and more.

Applications accepted soon

"In the 2013/2014 fiscal year, more than $124,000 in funding was issued through Growing Competitiveness – Agri-Extension for various events and training tools which were accessed by more than 4,000 farmers and 250 agricultural processors," says Hambira. "If you are an agricultural organization that would like to pursue a project or event that will spread knowledge and provide training, we encourage you to apply."

Growing Competitiveness – Agri-Extension provides up to $15,000 for extension events, workshops and symposia or $75,000 for the development and distribution of training tools, resources and publications. The program will cover up to 75 per cent of a project, with the applying organization providing the remaining 25 per cent.

The next application deadline is September 12, 2014. To apply or get more information on this program today, visit the program page.

Sign up today for Growing News

Get this featured article and other Growing Forward 2 program updates by email.

Subscribe to the Growing News newsletter today.