Frequently Asked Questions

In general, shoreline erosion is not eligible for DFA. There are exceptions; however. If you have existing erosion protection or stabilization on your property, such as wooden bulwarks, rip rap, placed-boulder embankments or concrete walls that are damaged by erosion during a DFA event, repair of these may be eligible for DFA. Contact Manitoba EMO for more information.

Complete an application for disaster financial assistance, even if a program has not been established. You can apply on-line, download a PDF, or contact EMO to have an application mailed to you. Some municipalities also keep DFA applications at the municipal office.

Other important things you need to do are:

  • Take pictures of the damages and any repairs you make
  • Keep detailed records of any repairs (invoices for labour, materials, contracted work, etc.)
  • Contact your insurance provider to verify whether the damages are eligible for insurance - be sure to get a statement in writing from your insurance provider
  • Have available your most recent property tax bill (for a residential claim)
  • Have available a complete copy of your income tax return for last year (for a small business/farm claim)

If private property was damaged by municipal equipment during clean-up and recovery work, you must contact your municipality to either make the repairs or repay you for the damages. These expenses are not assisted with through the DFA program.

For private residents, tree removal is eligible for DFA. Tree removal is assisted with as part of the assistance amount paid for debris removal on your property. There is a maximum amount of assistance for debris clean-up and it is based on the size of your property.

Tree removal will only be assisted with if the trees pose a safety concern on your land and will not be assisted with if the trees are in a wooded area or a remote location on your property and are determined not to be a safety concern. Stump removal is not eligible for DFA as stumps are not considered debris.

Generally, landscaping costs other than debris clean up are not eligible for Disaster Financial Assistance.

There are a few exceptions; however. Landscaping may be eligible if landscape standards are required by local authority or development by-law. If this is the case for you, contact Manitoba EMO.

For private residences, DFA claims may be eligible to receive up to $240,000 in assistance after the standard 20% deductible is applied.

The amount of assistance available is based on the actual eligible damages as a result of the event. Manitoba EMO staff will work with you so that you understand the amount of assistance that is available to you.

Because insurance is readily and reasonably available for farm buildings, they are ineligible for DFA whether insurance was purchased or not.

Yes. A standard 20% deductible will be applied to your DFA award amount for all DFA eligible costs.

Many insurance providers in Manitoba are now offering overland flood insurance products to Manitobans.

Insurable losses are not eligible for DFA, whether insurance was purchased or not. In order to be considered eligible for DFA, applicants may need to provide information from their insurance providers about their purchased insurance policy.

Please contact your insurance provider for information on what insurance coverage is available to you.

No, you can complete an application for DFA, even if a program has not been initiated.

You can apply online, download a PDF application form (Adobe required) or contact EMO to have an application mailed to you. You can also get an application from your municipal office.

Your application does not guarantee that you will receive assistance or that a DFA program will be established DFA is initiated following a significant event in which damage is widespread, mostly uninsurable and represents a significant financial burden to those impacted. Submitting your application will help Manitoba EMO understand how big the disaster is.


If one or more quarter sections that you rent have been damaged by an event you may be eligible for assistance for their repair.

To include these properties on your DFA claim you need to submit:

  • property tax assessments for each damaged quarter section; and
  • a signed and witnessed Farmland Owners Authorization Form (to be completed by the property owner) which gives the renter permission to repair the affected property and send the invoices and repair costs to the DFA program.

No. Only damages to your primary residence are eligible for DFA. A cottage or cabin is considered a secondary residence.

Although you submitted an application, it doesn’t necessarily mean a DFA program is established. Certain criteria is required to establish a DFA program: damages must be widespread, damages must be mostly uninsurable and damages must represent a significant financial burden. You will receive a letter from Manitoba EMO if a DFA program is established.

Staff from Manitoba EMO will contact you to conduct a screening. Screening calls are used to gather more information about the damages that you have experienced and to answer any questions that you may have.

During your screening call, Manitoba EMO will advise you of the documents you will need to submit in order to support your claim. These documents may include:

  • A copy for your most recent property tax bill
  • A signed Financial Assistance Agreement
  • A copy for your most recent tax filings (for businesses and non-profit organizations)
  • A signed Farmland Owners Authorization form for rented property

After the screening call, your application is reviewed for eligibility. If your application is accepted into a DFA program, an in-person inspection will be scheduled with Manitoba EMO. The information gathered in your inspection will be used to help determine the amount of assistance that is available to you.

No. You do not need to wait for an inspection before you begin to clean up or repair your damaged property.

To be considered for DFA assistance, you must document your damages, clean up and repairs as they occur by:

  • Taking pictures of your damages and repairs (including items that are damaged and removed to the dump).
  • Recording your actions. Be sure to include the number of hours that you worked, a description of the work you did, and the equipment that was used (including make, model and horsepower where applicable).
  • Saving and submitting your receipts and proof of payment (i.e. debit or credit slips) for replaced items and rented equipment. Avoid using cash for purchases as this method of payment cannot be easily verified.

Keeping proper records is essential to ensure that you receive all of the assistance you are eligible for. If you dispose items or repair items without taking pictures and keeping records/receipts, you may not receive assistance for these items. Please contact Manitoba EMO if you have any questions about this process.

The DFA program has a two-step appeal process for claimants who feel that they didn't receive the appropriate amount of assistance.

The first step in the appeal process is an internal review by the Director of Recovery.

If you are unsatisfied with the results of your internal review, you may request a second stage appeal hearing. Second stage appeal hearings are conducted by a third party review board called the Manitoba Disaster Assistance Appeal Board (MDAAB). The board is an independent body separate from Manitoba EMO. The request must be made to MDAAB, not Manitoba EMO.

Please contact Manitoba EMO for additional information on this process.

The amount of assistance available for your damaged buildings is based on two factors:

  • the amount of damaged caused by an event, and;
  • the assessed value of the structure as seen on your most recent property tax assessment.

Please contact Manitoba EMO for more information on this topic.

That depends.

Damages that are considered insurable are not eligible for assistance. DFA cannot be used to assist you with repair costs that exceed your insurance payout.

Damages that are uninsurable may still be eligible for assistance.

Manitoba EMO staff will work with you to fully understand the extent of your damages, and advise you on what damages are eligible for DFA.