AU 4
CYDERMAN (Little Pal M.C.)
1985 - Mid North Resources Limited
201-2639 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3J 0P7
50° 58.70’
95° 23.25’
Uncertainty (m)
500 m
UTM Zone
L.S./Quarter Section
15 EPM
The deposit is situated within a 460 m shear in porphyritic and pillowed andesite of the Gunnar Formation, Rice Lake Group. The shear is up to 9.2 m wide and strikes 305°/65-85°SW. Slickensides on the wall rock plunge 50°/SE.
Several lenticular quartz bodies, 0.61 to 1.83 m wide, are found in the shear. These contain free gold and tellurides. The gold occurs as coarse particles along cracks in quartz.
"Dykes" of basalt and felsic porphyry with blue quartz eyes cut the andesite.
The shear lies in the fold axial plane on the northwest plunging portion of the major SE trending doubly-plunging anticline (Stephenson, 1972).
The deposit is located about 0.4 km east of Shesheep Lake, 4.0 km southwest of Wallace Lake, 11.7 km north of Long Lake, and 0.8 km soutrhwest of Provincial Road. No. 304.
In 1925 J.R. Cryderman staked the Little Pal M.C. 38534 over the deposit and later in the same year assigned the claim to Russel Cryderman. The latter assigned a 4/5 interest in the property to The Mining Corporation of Canada, Limited, in 1926. Underground work done during the summer of 1926 included a 79.3 m deep shaft, and 200 and 71 m of drifting and crosscutting on the 38 m and 76 m levels, respectively. The average gold content was very low. Some diamond drilling was done to the W of the shaft during the winter of 1927 (Wright 1932).
The property was purchased from the Mining Corporation of Canada by Winnipeg financiers, and in the winter of 1928 Cryderman Mines, Limited was organized to continue development of the deposit (Wright 1932). During the summer of 1928 surface exploration was renewed. Two parallel shear zones were exposed for 229 m by trenching and 360 m by stripping on Louie M.C. 3930. Louie M.C. was staked on strike 1.6 km northwest of Little Pal M.C. (DeLury and Cole, 1928).
From the summer of 1928 to October 1931 no work was done on the property. In early 1932 W. Jackson, Consulting Engineer, inspected the property by a thorough sampling of all exposed mineralized outcrops. By March 1932 the shaft was dewatered to the first level and a 36 tonne mill, 90 tonne ore bin, steam hoist, and boiler room had been erected.
The Cryderman mine, was reopened early in 1932 and continued to operate during the first two or three months of the fiscal year beginning May 1, 1932. According to the company's statement the total value of gold produced and sold was $7,711.82 (Manitoba Mines Branch a). This however was not enough to cover operating costs and work was again temporarily stopped at the end of 1932 (Mid West Mining Review, Nov. 1, 1934).
The property was assigned to Western Cryderman Gold Mines Ltd. in 1934 after Union Trust Company Limited held it briefly. Western Cryderman changed its name to Cryderman Gold Mines Limited in 1934.
In 1936 work resumed on the property with at least seven holes being drilled to test a structure along the main vein. Though these holes did not establish ore of a commercial value on the 31 m level they did disclose a consistency in the vein material (Annual Review, Northern Miner, Dec. 1936). No assays were ever reported.
A 21-year lease, M 1028, was issued on the 20.1 hectare claim in 1938 and renewed in 1959 when Cryderman Gold Mines Limited was revived. G.A. Russell, consulting engineer, was employed to supervise the detailed geological mapping of the shaft area and surface diamond drilling.
Surface sampling of the main vein, on which the shaft was put down, indicated an oreshoot with a length of 80 m and an average of 19.2 g/tonne (0.56 oz/ton) gold across an average width of 1.01 m. All assays were cut to 31.1 g (1 oz.) before being averaged.
The only other results of surface sampling that can be found are for the so-called discovery vein which branches off the main vein just east of the shaft and diverges northeastward. Sampling here in 1931 gave 17.9 g/tonne (0.52 oz/ton) gold over a width of 0.64 m and a length of 67 m.
In a westerly direction from the shaft the main vein is covered by overburden for a distance of some 336 m. It outcrops further west for about 61 m, but sampling results for this section are not known (Northern Miner, July 2, 1959).
In August 1959, five samples were sent to Warnock Hersey Co. for assays, because of contamination of the samples. Initial reported assays were spectacular but when rechecked the samples were found to be low in gold values.
The comparative assays reports are listed below:

Sample No. Aug. 5/59 g/tonnes (oz/ton) gold Aug. 7/59 g/tonne (oz/ton) gold
2106 137.14 (4.0) Tr.
2107 nil nil
2108 31.54 (0.92) 0.69 (0.02)
2109 8.91 (0.26) 0.34 (0.01)
2110 Tr. 0.60 (0.02)
(Northern Miner, Aug. 13, 1959).

Little Pal M.C. was cancelled in 1963 and the following partial restakings have occurred:

Year Claim Name Claim Number Staker
1963 Rum No. 1 W 36006 F. Baker
1967 Houston No. 1 W 40503 S. Buus
1969 Houston No. 1 W 42821 S. Buus
1972 Neepawa No. 5 W 44383 F. Baker

Neepawa No. 5 was cancelled in 1979 and then restaked by D. MacEachern as Cry 1 CB 10258. In 1981 the claim block was assigned to Mid-North Resources Limited and later that year to Noranda Exploration Company Limited. Noranda carried out VLF-EM and MAG surveys in 1982. In 1983 the property was transferred back to Mid North and then to Donald William, John Specht and Evan A. Koblanski.
In 1983 Augusta Resources (E.A. Koblanski, President; D.W.J. Specht, Secretary) contracted J.W. Campbell to undertake an investigation of the property. A reconnaissance prospecting program was carried out on the claim and a four hole drill program completed on the Range Line showing located on contiguous claim Jewel 1 W 48109. In May 1985 the property was transferred back to Mid North Resources.
1931-32 - $7,711.82 worth of gold.
Canadian Mines Handbook, 1935: p. 72; Northern Miner Press, Canadian Mines Register of Dormant and Defunct Companies, 1960: First supplement; p. 26; Northern Miner.
Manitoba Mines Branch:
a. Annual Report on Mines and Minerals; 1st- p.110; 4th-p. 27; 5th-p. 25; 7th-p. 36; 9th-p. 50.
b. Corporation Files; Cryderman Gold Mines Limited, Cryderman Mines Limited.
c. Mining Engineering Files; Cryderman Gold Mines Limited
Stephenson, J.F., 1972: Gold Deposits of the Rice Lake-Beresford Lake Area, Southeastern Manitoba; University of Manitoba, Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis, p. 263,4.
Stockwell, C.H., 1945: Beresford Lake (Marginal Notes); Geological Survey of Canada.
Wright, J.F., 1932: Geology and Mineral Deposits of a Part of Southeastern Manitoba; Geological Survey of Canada, Memoir 169, p. 77.
Map 52 L/14, West, Garner Lake, (Topographic), Scale 1:50 000, Mines & Technical Surveys, Canada.
Map 4048 G, Garner Lake, (Aeromagnetic), Scale 1:63 360, Manitoba Mines Branch & Geological Survey of Canada.
Map 809 A, Beresford Lake, (Geology), Scale 1:63 360-Accompanying marginal notes by Stockwell (1945), Geological Survey of Canada.
Map 71-1/4, Geology of the Wanipigow River-Manigotagan River Region, (Geology), Scale 1:63 360-compiled by Weber (1971), Manitoba Mines Branch.
Map (Unpublished), Little Pal M.C., 38534, Lot 1457, Group 124 (Survey), Scale 1:2400, Mining Recording, Manitoba Mines Branch.
Claim Map Series 52 L/14NW, Scale 1:31 680, circa 1963, Mining Recording, Manitoba Mines Branch.
Compiled/Revised by:
06-67 05-74 06-84 07-85

Powered by DB/Text WebPublisher, from