INVENTORY FILE NO.
(Garson Limestone Co. Ltd. and Garson Quarries Ltd.)
Tyndall Stone Quarry
The quarry is situated on a low anticlinal ridge about 0.8 km wide and
4.8 km long that trends northwest-southeast. The covering of soil varies from 2
to 4 m along the axis and deepens on both flanks. Tyndall stone is a mottled
dolomitic limestone and at this locality is in the lower half of the Selkirk
member of the Ordovician Red River Formation. The rock is composed of a matrix
of light buff limestone in which occur tubular and interconnected mottled areas
of brownish dolomitic limestone forming one third of the rock and distributed
uniformly throughout it. The upper 2.5 to 5 m is buff in color, the next 4 m has
a grey to bluish cast, while the remaining 10 m (unquarried) is lighter colored.
Large fossils, usually white are scattered through the rock but the stone can be
cut to avoid these. The stone occurs in "beds" caused by stylolitization of 0.5
to 1.8 m thick. (See Fig. 1 on the back of this sheet). The beds have been
lettered 'A' to 'K' Increasing amounts of chert modules have been found below
the 'I' bed.
Chemical Properties: Analyses of individual, quarried beds range
from 83.21 to 89.26% CaCo3 and 14.91 to 9.43% MgCO3. See Goudge,
Physical Properties: For physical properties relating to the use of the
stone for building purposes, see Parks (1916).
Uses: Building stone,
Monumental and Ornamental Stone, Flagstone, crushed stone, lime (pre-1942); also
used in sulphide pulp industry.
MINERALS OR PRODUCTS OF VALUE
EXPLORATION AND DEVELOPMENT
Garson quarry is located in l.s. 3 and 4, sec. 10 on the north side of
Hwy 44 in Garson, Manitoba, about 48 km northeast of Winniopeg.
1895 - Wm.
Garson opened the first quarry operated in the district.
1905 - The quarry
was owned and operated by the Garson Quarry Company of Winnipeg. The quarry was
equipped with 3 steampowered rock drills, a steam powered lathe, 3 steam powered
derricks and 3 horse powered derricks. In the southeast corner there were 4
draw-kilns (12 m high) with the mouths of the shafts on level witht he surface
so that carts could dump directly into the shaft so that carts could dump
directly into the shaft which was lined with fire-bricks. The quick-lime was
drawn off at the bottom and hoisted up into boxcars on the spurtrack from
Tyndall. The burning which took 7 days produced an excellent grade of strong
white quicklime which was produced in addition to the stone.
1913 - Garson's
Quarry was under the management of Northwest Quarries Co. Ltd. (Wallace
1916 - The quarry was being operated by Wallace Sandstone Quarries
Limited. The quarry dimensions were about 450 m east-west by 150 m north-south.
After the over-burden and upper shattered beds had been removed, a channel cut
was run across the quarry about 1.5 m back from the face. Two cross channels
were made at each end of the strip and the key block removed. The strip was
raised by plug and feathers then cut into lengths 2 to 4.5 m by plug and
feathers. The company maintained a mill on the property in which a large part of
the output was worked into dressed stone, cut stone, rubble and lime were
1917 - The plant was destroyed by fire and quarrying
1944 - Garson Limestone Co. Ltd. was formed by Sama nd Mal
1946 - Production of limestone rubble sold to pulp and paper plants
began in this quarry and Western Stone's No. 1 quarry. (See IMI card 62I/2 STN
4). The dimensions of the Garson quarry (Goudge 1944) were 365 m long eastwest
and 180 m wide at the west end tapering to 30 m at the east end, by 5.5 m deep.
Proudction between 1946 and 1955 averaged 5000 tonnes of rubble.
Quarying was carried on for building stone. A diamond saw with a 244 cm diameter
blade was purchased which boosted production 4 times over channelling. It could
produce only 18.6 m2 per day. The first vertical cuts (1.8 m apart) were made by
the diamond saw (by a channelling machine prior to 1962) on a 29 m track. Cross
breaks were made by drilling holes every 22 cm with pneumatic drills then
drilling in steel plugs. The block was separated from the underlying bed by
pounding steel wedges into 25 cm flat holes, 76 cm apart. Cranes lifted the
blocks onto trucks for shipment to their dressing plant in Winnipeg.
The quarry ceased production about 1969.
1962 - Quarrying was being carried on for building stone. Production
was boosted 4-fold by the purchase of a diamond daw with 244 cm blade.
Quarry ceased about 1969.
Shipping Point - Garson, Manitoba
Shipped - Tynall Stone
Destination - Winnipeg
Distance from Mine - 48
Carrier - Truck
Wallace, R.C. and Greer, L. 1927: The Non-Metallic Mineral Resources
of Manitoba, Industrial Development Board of Manitoba, p. 9-19.
1913: Pseudobrecciation of Ordovician Limestone in Manitoba; The Journal of
Geology, Vol. XXI, No. 5 July-August, p. 402-421.