If you think a child is being harmed or neglected,
contact CFS at 1-866-345-9241.

Note: If this is an emergency, contact your local police emergency number.

If you are a parent in need of support with your children, contact the number above to get information about CFS in your area or see Child and Family Services Contacts.

Child and Family Services

How can we help you?

What is Child and Family Services (CFS)?

Who do I contact if I think a child is being harmed or neglected?

Who do I call if I want to contact my worker?

How can I get information about why my child was apprehended?

What do I need to know about court?

How do I get help if I am a child?

How do I get help if I am pregnant or a new parent?

How do I get help if I am a parent?

How do I become a Foster Parent?

How do I get help if I am a gandparent?

How do I report critical incident involving a child in care?

Who do I contact if I want information about adoptions?

Who do I contact if I have a question or complaint about child and family services?

What is CFS (Child and Family Services)?

The child and family services (CFS) system helps to ensure that families and communities provide for the safety and well-being of their children. There are a number of provincial laws that are in place to accomplish this goal. The most important ones are The Child and Family Services Act, The Adoption Act and The Child and Family Services Authorities Act. Please visit Child Protection for more information. 

Who do I contact if I think a child is being harmed or neglected?

If this is an emergency, please call your local emergency police number.

For all other inquiries please contact a Designated Intake Agency (DIA) in your area. This interactive map provides contact information for all DIAs in Manitoba.

For information about the types and signs of child abuse use the following:

Who do I call if I want to contact my worker?

If you know the name of your worker and the agency they work for, you can call your worker directly by consulting the listing of Child and Family Services (CFS) agencies in Manitoba.

If you are not sure of the name of your worker or the agency involved, please contact your local Designated Intake Agency for further assistance.

back to top

How can I get information about why my child was apprehended?

It is important that you try to work with the CFS worker assigned to you, to understand the concerns which lead to the apprehension of your child(ren). This discussion might take place over a number of meetings or conversations, and should involve information about what might change the situation. It is important that you go to court and make every effort to understand your circumstances. If the reasons for apprehension cannot be resolved between you and the CFS agency, the courts will be asked to make decisions about the situation.

If your efforts to deal directly with the CFS worker are not successful, please see the section about questions or complaints.

What do I need to know about court?

CFS will go to court to tell a judge why they believe they had to remove your children. You should get legal help (a lawyer) as soon as possible. If you can’t afford a lawyer, Legal Aid Manitoba may be able to help. Call 1-800-261-2960; or go to the website at: Legal Aid Manitoba.

You may be very upset at this time. It is important that you go to court to show that you care about what is happening with your children. If your children are 12 or older, they may be in the court room. The judge will want to hear what your children think of the plan for them. Child protection hearings are part of Family Court. Only people directly involved are allowed in the courtroom.

How do I get help if I am a child?

Are you being hurt?

If someone has just hurt you or is hurting you now in any way including physically, sexually or emotionally call your local police emergency number.

If you are not being hurt but want to talk to someone about being hurt please call the Designated Intake Agency or call your local emergency police number.

Do you need someone to talk to?

If you don’t know who to talk to and are looking for someone that will offer confidential advice, you might visit the Kids’ Help Phone website or call directly 24 hours a day 1-800-668-6868.

Do you have questions about the decisions being made for you?

The job of the Manitoba Advocate for Children and Youth is to talk to you, listen to you and help you tell your side of the story - to help you have a say. They are on your side! For more information about what the Manitoba Advocate for Children and Youth can do for you, please visit the Manitoba Advocate for Children and Youth website.

Are you a child in care?

Voices: Manitoba's Youth in Care Network provides support, encouragement, and advocacy for youth in care as they move from being children in care to independence and beyond.

How do I get help if I am pregnant or a new parent?

Expectant and New Parent Services and Resources

How do I become a Foster Parent?

Children who can’t live with their families (or extended families) need safe, supportive homes. The best thing for these children is to live with a foster family - a family (or person) who can accept, support and care for them as their own.

For more information on fostering, please visit the Community of Care or the Kinship & Foster Family Network.

How do I get help if I am a grandparent?

In December 2006, Manitoba’s Child and Family Services Act was amended to specifically address grandparents’ rights to apply for access. The legislation specifically recognizes that children can benefit from a positive, nurturing relationship with their grandparents. It also outlines possible kinds of access that can be granted and some of the factors the court may consider in deciding whether access is in the child’s best interests.

For more information on Manitoba laws on grandparents’ access refer to Family Law - Family Access to Children. For further information on the best interests of the child, refer to The Child and Family Services Act.

How do I report a critical incident involving a child in care?

As of October 15, 2015, The Child and Family Services Amendment Act (Critical Incident Reporting) is in force and it is mandatory to immediately report critical incidents, including serious injury or death, involving children in care.
A critical incident is defined as an incident that has resulted in the serious injury or death of a child who:
  1. who was in the care of, or received services from a CFS agency, or
  2. whose parent or guardian received services from a CFS agency, at any time within one year before the critical incident.
Those who work or provide services to a child and family services agency or Authority, whether as an employee, volunteer, student trainee, foster parent, residential child care facility worker, in a place of safety, or any other capacity are required to report critical incidents.
All of the information on the Critical Incident Report form is mandatory.
Reporting must be done immediately or within one hour of learning that a critical incident has occurred.
Foster parents must report the critical incident to the licensing and placing agencies by phone or fax.
Employees, service providers, volunteers and those providing care for a child at a family residence designated as a place of safety must report the critical incident to the responsible CFS agency. If the agency is not known, the critical incident report is made to the Director of Child and Family Services by phone (204-945-5320), or by faxing the form (204-945-7521).
(Residential child care facilities will report to the placing agency and the Director of Child and Family Services, and CFS agencies will report to their mandating CFS Authority and the Director of Child and Family Services.)

back to top

How do I get help if I am a parent?

Links to parenting resources, financial help and a number to call to access CFS services:

Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
1031 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg MB  R3G 0R8 
Offers various options for education and addiction-related support, including residential treatment for youth.


ANCR (All Nations Coordinated Response)
835 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3G 0N6
Services include prevention and programs to ensure that children and families receive the support they need, and children are safe from abuse and neglect. ANCR can assist with accessing a CFS agency for ongoing services and support.

Andrews Street Family Centre
220 Andrews Street
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2P1
Adult and children’s programs, including family support, parent mentoring, facilitating access to resources and referral for substance abuse treatment, drop-in and other resources.

Aurora Family Therapy Centre
The University of Winnipeg
Sparling Hall 2nd Floor
515 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E9
Offers therapy to families, children, couples and individuals on an ability-to-pay basis. Project 9000 offers these supports free to families at risk of their children coming into contact with CFS (6-12 sessions). Families for Project 9000 are referred from CFS All Nations Coordinated Response (ANCR) and all Manitoba CFS agencies.

Manitoba Advocate for Children and Youth
100-346 Portage Ave
Winnipeg, MB R3C 0C3
Represent the rights, interests and viewpoints of children and youth who are or who should be receiving services as described under The Child and Family Services Act.

Employment and Income Assistance
1-111 Rorie Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3N1
Financial, employment and pre-employment support for Manitobans who are experiencing diffuculty supporting themselves or their families.

Family Dynamics
401-393 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3H6
Counselling, in-home family support and parent coaches, child care resources, family preservation, anger management and parenting groups, including those for newcomers and refugees. Operates Community Family Resource Centres in partnership with Manitoba Housing Authority.

Ka Ni Kanichihk Inc.
455 McDermot Ave
Winnipeg, MB R2A 0B5
Aboriginal focused programs, services & resources that focus on wholeness and wellness, and which build on the strengths and resilience of Aboriginal people and families.

Law Phone-In and Lawyer Referral Program
Phone Calls Only
Winnipeg, MB
Provides general legal information via telephone.
Referrals made to appropriate law and lawyer- related agencies.

Legal Aid Manitoba
287 Broadway
Winnipeg, MB R3C 0R9
Offers legal help to low income persons, including divorce, child custody, maintenance enforcement, etc.

Legal Help Centre
202-393 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3H6 
Legal information and referrals. Drop-in clinics are available to those with family incomes under $50,000/year.

The Link (formerly Macdonald Youth Services)
175 Mayfair Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3L 0A1
204- 477-1722
Offers residential placement and community support services focused on youth and older adolescents, including the Youth Crisis Stabilization System and the Mobile Crisis Unit.

Ma Mawi Wi Chi Itata Centre Inc
445 King Street
Winnipeg, MB R2W 2C5
Operates 3 Community Care Centres to provide culturally relevant prevention and community-based support programs, intended to strengthen Aboriginal families (personal development, drop-in, crisis intervention, child care, respite, emergency services, family violence etc.).


Manitoba Housing Authority
352 Donald Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2H8
Offers affordable and subsidized rental housing options for low to moderate income individuals and families.

Native Women’s Transition Centre Inc.
105 Aikins Street
Winnipeg, MB R2W 4E6
Aboriginal program that helps women and their children achieve stability and healing from domestic violence.

New Directions for Children, Youth, Adults and Families
500 - 717 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3G 0M8
Services include individual, couple & family counselling, education, training, advocacy and parenting support and residential care resources.

Pregnancy and Family Support Services
555 Spence Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2R9 
Provides programs for families at risk such as pre-natal enrichment, parenting classes and adult drop-in services.

Rehabilitation Centre for Children
633 Wellington Crescent
Winnipeg, MB  R3M 0A8 
Stepping Out Saturdays (SOS) offers Saturday day camps in Winnipeg, Brandon, Little Grand Rapids and Thompson, to provide social support and respite for children, youth and their families affected by Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD).

Villa Rosa
784 Wolseley Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3G 1C6 
Peri and post-natal resources and services to mothers and their infants, as well as assisting new mothers to acquire parenting skills, learn life skills and providing community support.

Manitoba Friendship Centres - your local Friendship Centre might also offer programs and services to support children, youth and families:

Brandon Friendship Centre
836 Lorne Avenue
Brandon, MB R7A 0T8
Phone: 204-727-1407

Dauphin Friendship Centre
210 1st Avenue NE
Dauphin, MB R7N 1A7
Phone: 204-638-5707

Elbert Chartrand Friendship Centre
1413 Main Street
Swan River, MB R0L 1Z0
Phone: 204-734-9301

Flin Flon Aboriginal Friendship Centre
57 Church Street
Flin Flon, MB R8A 1K8
Phone: 204-687-3900

Lynn Lake Friendship Centre
625 Gordon Avenue
Lynn Lake, MB R0B 0W0
Phone: 204-356-2407

Ma-Mow-We-Tak Friendship Centre
4 Nelson Road
Thompson, MB
Phone: 204-677-0960

Portage La Prairie Friendship Centre
20 -  3 Street NE
Portage la Prairie, MB
Phone: 204-239-6333

Riverton And District Friendship Centre
53 Laura Avenue
Riverton, MB R0C 2R0
Phone: 204-378-2800

Selkirk Friendship Centre Inc
425 Eveline Street
Selkirk, MB R1A 2J5
Phone: 204-482-8656

The Pas Friendship Centre
103 Edwards Avenue
The Pas, MB R9A 1K7
Phone: 204-627-7500

Indian & Metis Friendship Centre of Winnipeg
Address: 45 Robinson Street
Winnipeg, MB R2W 5H5
Phone: 204-582-1296


Who do I contact if I want information about adoptions?

For information about adoptions, please visit the Adoptions page.

Who do I contact if I have a question or complaint about child and family services?

The Authority oversees all the work and services done by its agencies and has the job of making sure services work for children and families. In this role, each agency and its oversight Authority has an inquiry, complaint and resolution process.

When you have a question or concern about the services that a child and family service agency is providing, the best way to start is by talking with the CFS worker assigned to you. If you still have concerns or a complaint after talking to your worker, talk to your worker’s supervisor or the director of the CFS agency. If none of these give you the help you were looking for, then you can also call the CFS Authority.

If none of these are helpful to you, then you still have more ways available to help with your question or concern. These are the Child and Family Services Branch, the Manitoba Advocate for Children and Youth, the Manitoba Ombudsman, and the Minister of Families. Each of these has a duty to listen to you and help you to work out your concern or complaint.


back to top