Section 242.2(3) of The HTA, allows a peace officer to seize and impound a vehicle if the driver, while operating a vehicle, commits an offence related to obtaining sexual services or procuring.

There is no minimum impoundment period. However, the vehicle may be authorized for release if the:

  • the vehicle is stolen
  • the driver has been accepted to a program of alternative measures (John School)
  • the owner has provided a cash security equal to the value of the motor vehicle
  • the owner, who is not the driver, applies to a Justice for the release of the motor vehicle

If the driver is convicted of the offence, the motor vehicle or cash security will be forfeited to the Province of Manitoba. If the driver is accepted into John School, charges are stayed by the Crown.