Compensation for Victims of Crime Program (CVCP)

What is the Compensation for Victims of Crime Program?

The Compensation for Victims of Crime program provides compensation to victims who suffer personal injury, hardships or expenses as a result of certain crimes. These crimes are outlined in the Victims’ Rights Regulation of The Victims’ Bill of Rights. The program is also available to specific relatives and dependants of victims of homicide in Manitoba.

If someone has been injured as a result of a crime, or someone is an immediate family member of a person killed due to a crime, that person may be entitled to compensation. People may also be compensated if they were injured while helping a police officer or while trying to prevent a crime.

To apply for compensation, the offender does not need to have been caught. However, a formal report must be made to the police.

Who can apply to this program?

You may be eligible for this program if:

  • you were injured or hurt in a crime
  • you personally witnessed a crime
  • someone in your family was a victim who died in a crime
  • the crime was reported to the police as soon as possible after it happened
  • you apply within one year of the crime

You are NOT eligible for compensation if:

  • the crime did not happen in Manitoba
  • the victim or witness has a serious criminal record
  • the victim’s death was caused by a motor vehicle incident

How do I apply for compensation?

To apply for compensation (money, services or support), you must fill out the correct application form. Separate application forms are available for victims, immediate family members and witnesses. You can get the forms from the Compensation for Victims of Crime office in Winnipeg, or the Victim Services office in your area. You can also download the required forms at the bottom of this webpage.

When can I apply for compensation?

You can apply after the crime has been reported to police. Once the crime has been reported, fill out an application form (see below) as soon as possible and return it to the Compensation for Victims of Crime office or the Victim Services office in your area.

It is important to file the form within one year after the crime.

What happens after I file a claim?

Most of the details needed to assess your claim are asked for on the application. The more details you give, the faster your claim can be assessed.

Victim Services staff will get the necessary police, medical and income information relating to your claim. They will also check your criminal conviction history. A decision will then be made on your claim and a letter will be sent to you in the mail, telling you if you are eligible for compensation.

What is covered and how is it decided?

Compensation may cover reasonable expenses (not already covered by another source such as private health, disability or accident insurance, Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance and Employment and Income Assistance) resulting from a crime.

Supports for victims of crime.

Supports for family members of victims.

Supports for witnesses of crimes.

Before deciding how much to cover, the program staff will consider other money you may get from other sources because of the injury or death. This includes benefits from other federal or provincial government programs. It can also include any other public or private insurance plan, such as life, accident, sickness or disability insurance.

I want to visit a counsellor or healing provider within my cultural community. Will Compensation for Victims of Crime cover expenses for visiting these providers?

Yes. Learn more about the types of services and providers that can be covered.

Can the amount of my claim be reduced?

The amount of your claim may be reduced if:

  • you are entitled to benefits from another source for your physical or emotional injury
  • you, as the victim or witness, have been convicted of two or more crimes within the past five years

Can a claim be denied?

A claim may be denied if:

  • the crime was not reported to the police right after it happened
  • the victim’s actions directly or indirectly caused his or her own injury
  • the victim was involved in a crime when the injury happened
  • the victim did not help police or testify in court against the person who committed the crime (the alleged offender)
  • the victim or witness was convicted of a serious crime in the past 10 years

What if I disagree with the decision made on my claim?

If you disagree with the decision made on your claim, you have 60 days to ask that your claim be reviewed. To do this, you must send a letter to the Compensation for Victims of Crime Program (address below) or fill out a reconsideration form (available from the program office), asking to have your claim reviewed.

If you still disagree with the decision after your claim has been reviewed, you may then file an appeal. Information on how to appeal the decision will be sent to you with the letter summarizing the review decision.

The Compensation for Victims of Crime Program is managed by Manitoba Justice Victim Services. For more information on the program, contact the program office in Winnipeg, or your local Victim Services office.

Contact us:

In Winnipeg
Compensation for Victims of Crime Program
1430 - 405 Broadway Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3C 3L6

Phone: 204-945-0899 in Winnipeg
Toll free: 1-800-262-9344
Fax: 204-948-3071
Email : CVCP@gov.mb.ca
Web: Victim Services

Regional Victim Services offices
Find contact information for your local Victim Services office by clicking here, or call 1-866-4-VICTIM (484-2846) to be connected to the nearest office.

Application Forms

Application Form for Victims

Application Form for Witnesses

Application Form for Family Members