Quick Escape

Intimate Partner Violence

Leaving a relationship or deciding to separate from your partner can be an emotionally difficult time for couples and children. Resolving issues related to separation, divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support and division of property can understandably result in disagreement, emotionally charged situations and some level of conflict between couples.

Any form of violence at anytime is never acceptable.
Only continue if it is safe to do so. There is an escape button located at the bottom of the screen should you feel in you are emotional or physical danger. If you feel you are in immediate danger, contact your local law enforcement by dialing 911.

Am I experiencing intimate partner violence?

Sometimes conflict escalates to physical or emotional violence between (ex) partners. This is sometimes referred to as “situational couple violence”. Usually this form of violence occurs “in the heat of a moment” and out of anger and frustration.

Or, you may have already experienced signs of intimate partner violence (also known as domestic violence) in your relationship and are in an abusive relationship. If you are experiencing repeated violence (sometimes called the cycle of violence), including coercive control, you may be at a higher risk for harm or physical, emotional, sexual or financial abuse.

For more information, please read the Understanding Domestic Abuse and How to Break Free resource.

In some cases, deciding to leave a relationship, and changes in family dynamics put you at risk of violence or further violence.

As you go through separation, divorce, child custody or division of marital property you may find the conflict, abuse or risk to your personal safety may change.

It is important to remember that no type or level of violence is acceptable, and you do not have to tolerate abusive behaviour towards yourself or your children.

What should I do if I am experiencing or at risk of intimate partner violence?

If you think you may be experiencing violence, whether it is situational or a cycle of violence, you are not alone. You can talk to some one who can help.

If you ever feel you are in immediate danger, contact your local law enforcement by dialing 911 or, if 911 service is not available in your community, call the local RCMP detachment or local police service. For a list of RCMP detachments in Manitoba, please visit: RCMP Website

If you are not in immediate danger, but want help to figure out what to do or next steps you can contact:

  • the toll free Domestic Abuse Crisis Line (open 24 hours) at 1-877-977-0007;
  • Manitoba Justice Victim Services between 8:30am and 4:30pm at 204-945-6851 or toll free at 1-866-484-2846;
  • Any of the community based agencies listed on the Safety Resources page.

Trained staff can help you to develop a safety plan and decide what to do next.

What is a Safety Plan?

A safety plan can include ways to remain emotionally and physically safe while in the relationship, planning to leave, or after you leave. A safety plan is a personalized, practical plan that can help you (but not limited to) know the best way to react, people to contact and where you can go if you are in danger. Safety planning can also include a court order such as Protection Order.

For more information, visit the Protection Orders section of this website. Additional resources and necessary forms can be found on the Victim Services Protective Orders webpage.

For more information, please visit the Safety Resource section of this website.

Can I get time off work if I am experiencing intimate partner violence?

If you are employed and have been experiencing intimate partner violence in your relationship you may be entitled to a leave from your employment. Employees can use domestic violence leave to:

  • seek medical attention for themselves or their minor child for a physical or psychological injury or disability caused by the domestic violence;
  • obtain services from a victim services’ organization;
  • obtain psychological or other professional counselling;
  • temporarily or permanently relocate to a safe place;
  • seek legal help or law enforcement assistance, including participating in any civil or legal proceeding related to the domestic violence.

For more information please refer to the following link: Domestic Violence Leave Fact Sheet

Can I end a residential tenancy agreement if I am experiencing intimate partner violence?

In Manitoba, under The Residential Tenancies Act, you can end your residential tenancy agreement if you:

  • Are a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking
  • You currently feel unsafe in your home or believe there is a risk to your and/or your children’s safety if you stay in your rental unit as a result of domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking (includes physical, emotional or psychological safety)

You must do two things to end your tenancy agreement:

  • You must request a certificate to end your tenancy from Manitoba Justice Victim Services; and
  • You must provide notice to your landlord that is not less than one rental payment period (a rental period is usually one month).

For more information please refer to the following links:

Please consider contacting an in-person or telephone resource listed on this page. Self-guided information is strongly encouraged and best understood in consultation with a professional that can help you understand intimate partner violence. Safety plans can be developed to your specific needs by working with an agency who has experience with intimate partner violence.