Employment and Income Assistance

Rent Assist

Rent Assist is a financial benefit for people who receive Employment and Income Assistance (EIA)  and have housing costs to cover. It is also available to other low-income private renters.

Rent Assist can help people move successfully into training and jobs. By combining shelter benefits inside and outside of EIA, the benefit program is simpler, and moves with people as their situations change. 


Rent Assist helps two groups of Manitobans who may need help with their housing costs.

Rent Assist for Manitobans Receiving EIA Fact Sheet
Rent Assist for
Manitobans Receiving
EIA Fact Sheet

1. Manitobans receiving EIA will receive Rent Assist if they have housing costs. Rent Assist will be included with monthly EIA payments. 

The amount of the Rent Assist benefit for people receiving EIA will be based on things like:

  • rental costs
  • mortgage payments, taxes and other fees for those who  own their own home
  • the number of people in the family
  •  if the family lives in Manitoba Housing, has other subsidized housing benefits or is paying rent in unsubsidized housing  
  • whether utility costs (ex: heat, electricity, water) are included in the rent 
Rent Assist for Manitobans NOT Receiving EIA Fact Sheet
Rent Assist for
Manitobans NOT
Receiving EIA
Fact Sheet

2. Rent Assist can also help with the cost of rent for low-income Manitobans who are renting or paying room and board in unsubsidized housing.

The amount paid from Rent Assist will depend on the number of people in the household and the total household income.


Manitobans not receiving EIA benefits may apply for Rent Assist if they:
  • pay rent or room and board for unsubsidized housing
  • have a net annual income of less than $25,600 for a single person, or $29,280 for a single person 55 years of age or older, or a person who qualifies for the Disability Tax Credit or receive Canada Pension Plan Disability benefits, $32,960 for two people, $42,400 for three or four people and $54,360 for five or more people
  • have dependent children in your home and have a net annual income of less than $42,400 for two to four people, or $54,360 for five or more people
  • are a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident of Canada. 
Manitobans may not apply for non-EIA Rent Assist if:
  • they rent their home from Manitoba Housing
  • they, or the unit they live in, gets any other kind of housing benefit or subsidy
  • they live on a First Nations reserve
  • they live in a nursing home, hospital or residential care facility
  • they live in student housing 
The Rent Assist Estimator can also help households see if they may have eligibility for Rent Assist.


To apply for non-EIA Rent Assist, you can download an application form, or call Provincial Services at 204-948-7368 in Winnipeg; 1-877-587-6224 toll free; or TTY 204-948-3698 to have an application form mailed to you.

If you apply for EIA benefits, your eligibility for Rent Assist will also be assessed.  To apply for EIA, call 204-948-4000 in Winnipeg; or 1-800-855-0511 (Manitoba Relay Service).

To find an office near you, go to the website.

In Winnipeg

Outside Winnipeg

Non-EIA Rent Assist Application Form Direct Deposit Form
Non-EIA Rent Assist
Application Form

Direct Deposit Form


Non-Rent Assist Manual

Contact Us

Non-EIA Rent Assist
Winnipeg: 204-948-7368
Toll Free: 1-877-587-6224
Email: incsup@gov.mb.ca

Department of Families
100 - 114 Garry Street
Winnipeg MB R3C 4V4

EIA Rent Assist:
Phone: 204-948-4000
Email: eia@gov.mb.ca
Winnipeg Service Locations or Rural and Northern Service Locations

After-Hours (emergency only):
Winnipeg: 204-945-0183
Toll Free : 1-866-559-6778
TTY: 1-800-855-0511 (Manitoba Relay Service)