Mines (Regulatory)

Informational Notices

Mineral Exploration Licences & Mining Claims

We understand that this is a very challenging time for the industry, therefore, we are offering a one year Extension of Time on all Mining Claims and Mineral Exploration Licences (MEL) that expire prior to April 30, 2021. This does not include dispositions in Treaty Land Entitlement (TLE) areas, where further information is required. An extension will allow the holder additional time to meet their work requirements, or pay cash-in-lieu of work.

Eligible claims and MELs will automatically be extended and the expiry date will be reflected in iMaQs. Please be patient, as it will take some time to complete all extensions. To confirm your disposition status, please see iMaQs.

If you require further assistance, please email mines_br@gov.mb.ca.


  • All claims and MELs, which fall outside of TLE selected areas, that expire between May 1, 2020 and April 30, 2021.
  • There is no fee or application required on all eligible dispositions, as this is a response to COVID-19. Fees will remain for all other Extensions of Time issued under The Mines and Minerals Act.
  • If your disposition falls within a TLE selected area and you wish to apply for an Extension of Time, please email mines_br@gov.mb.ca for further instruction.

Further information regarding an Extension of Time can be found here.


Manitoba has extended double work assessment credits for all eligible exploration expenses up to December 31, 2020 to help companies explore through these challenging economic times. If you require further information, please contact the Assessment and Consultation Geologist, Shaun Gallagher by email at Shaun.Gallagher@gov.mb.ca.


Effective immediately: All Private Aggregate Applications must be accompanied by a Land Title Certificate and sent to the Mines Branch. The copy must be dated within the last 30 days. To request a copy, please contact The Property Registry at tprclient@tprmb.ca, via phone at 1-844-737-5684 or visit www.tprmb.ca.
Online Private Aggregate Applications submitted today are for the current year. Applications for the following year must be made on or after January 1st.


The use of ink stamps in the act of staking a claim has been brought to the attention of Mines Branch. Please click here for a letter outlining Mines Branch’s position on the use of such tools.


The Mines Branch has instituted a new application rejection policy effective April 1, 2015. The policy is aimed at incomplete applications that slow down processing of applications that are complete. When an application is rejected the application fees will be returned whenever possible. Further information and a listing of reasons for application rejection can be found here.


NOTICE REGARDING FEE INCREASES:  Effective May 1, 2013, the fees will increase on most mining and quarry related applications, rentals, royalty rates and rehabilitation levy. The general increase is based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) from 2006, the year of the last increase. The applicable regulations showing the new rates can be viewed by selecting from the links below:
Drilling Regulation, 1992, amendment
Mineral Disposition and Mineral Lease Regulation, 1992, amendment
Quarry Minerals Regulation, 1992, amendment


NOTICE REGARDING APPLICATIONS FOR WORK PERMIT WITHIN PROVINCIAL PARKS: Manitoba Conservation has advised that all applications for work permits within Provincial Parks will require an extended review and approval process. To accommodate the review process please ensure applications are submitted well in advance of the planned exploration work.


NOTICE: As of December 2, 2011, new requirements for reports of work are in effect. As well, reports of work can now be submitted digitally on CD or DVD. See regulation amendments for details.


NOTICE: To all holders of mineral dispositions and leases covering former mine and tailings sites

Section 77(1) of The Mines and Minerals Act states:

Rights not conveyed
77(1) The right to stake out or record a claim does not include the right to sell or otherwise dispose of tailings, sand, gravel or stone found in, upon or under the subject land or to sell or otherwise dispose of buildings, structures, machinery or chattels located on the land and such tailings, sand, gravel, stone, buildings, structures, machinery and chattels are reserved to the Crown together with the right of access to such tailings, sand, gravel, stone, buildings, structures, machinery and chattels.

Former mine and tailings sites are environmentally sensitive areas and any exploration activities in these areas may expose you to health and safety risks as well as the environmental liabilities for the area.

  • Before carrying out any exploration activities in these areas you must obtain the required permits from the local Manitoba Conservation office. The approval of these permits may take an extended period of time.
  • If permits are granted, exploration activities must be carried out in a safe manner and adequate precautions must be taken to protect yourself and employees from unsafe conditions.
  • If in doubt, contact the Chief Mining Engineer at 204-945-6517.

back to top