Utilities Permissions

Permission is required from the Minister of Infrastructure for utility installations (temporary or permanent) within provincial highway rights-of-way. Utilities may include hydroelectric, telecommunication, oil, gas, water, sewer lines, etc.

Before applying for permission of a utility, Manitoba Infrastructure strongly encourages you to read the following:

Utility Installations within Highway Right of Way Policy (PDF, 115 KB)

Requirements for Temporary Utility Installations within Highway Rights-of-Way (PDF, 402 KB)

Requirements for Permanent Utility Installations within Highway Rights-of-Way (PDF, 403 KB)

Utility installations are subject to Manitoba Infrastructure’s General Environmental Requirements (PDF, 242 KB)

Please allow 4-8 weeks for permission once complete applications have been received.

Temporary is defined as a utility permission required for a duration of two weeks or less.

NOTE: Facilities must be installed on the approved alignment.
Deviations around trees, wetlands, water runs and hydro pole anchors will not be permitted.
Alignment deviations require approval from the Director of Regional Operations prior to installation.

How to Apply


Apply for utility installation permission

  • Once the online application has been completed, email the supporting documents with the confirmation number in the subject line to utility@gov.mb.ca
  • Payment only by credit card

In person or by mail:

Utility Installation Application (PDF, 165 KB)

  • Mail or drop off application along with supporting documents to the appropriate office (see contacts below).
  • Payment only by cheque or money order payable to the Minister of Finance.

Administration Fee

A $500 administration fee will be charged for each application.

An administration fee does not apply in the following situations:

  • If your application is for a service drop(s).
  • If your application is for a temporary utility installation.
  • If the application is for the maintenance of a previously approved and installed utility.
  • Permission for installation or relocation of a utility is required and Manitoba Infrastructure is the proponent.


For more information, contact utility@gov.mb.ca or your local Manitoba Infrastructure regional office. If you are unsure of which region you are located in, please use the map (PDF, 4MB).

Capital Region

Joelle Coulombe
Regional Planning Technologist
Eastern Region
316 - 323 Main Street
Steinbach, Manitoba R5G 1Z2
Email: MI.Utilities.Capital@gov.mb.ca
Direct Phone: 204-346-2389
Office General Phone: 204-346-6266

Denise Stairs
Regional Planning Technologist
211 - 25 Tupper St. N. 
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba R1N 3K1
Email: MI.Utilities.Capital@gov.mb.ca
Direct Phone: (204) 871-2239
Office General Phone: (204) 239-3292 

Western Region

Brian Hickman
Regional Planning Technologist
1525 - 1st Street North
Brandon, Manitoba R7C 1B5
Email: MI.Utilities.Western@gov.mb.ca
Direct Phone: (204) 726-6822
Office General Phone: (204) 726-6800

Northern Region

Cheri Percival
Regional Planning Technologist
P.O. Box 690 - 257 Industrial Road
Dauphin, Manitoba R7N 3B3
Email: MI.Utilities.Northern@gov.mb.ca
Direct Phone: (204) 572-1455
Office General Phone: (204) 622-2061