Quick Escape


A mediator is a neutral third party who helps people reach their own agreement on a variety of issues, including parenting arrangements, spousal and child support, and property division.  Mediation may not be appropriate for every family, especially if there is violence or a power imbalance between the parties.

What public mediation services are offered by the Manitoba government?

Mediation services are available to separating couples/parents, guardianship applicants and grandparents. Mediation specialists and supports can offer general conflict resolution support to assist separating families. They may also develop a joint plan with a family to assist with resolving conflicts related to:

  • date of cohabitation
  • date of separation
  • parenting arrangements
  • child and spousal support
  • property division

Mediation specialists and supports may also help families meet pre-requisites for court and offer referrals to specialized services.

For more information, please contact a family guide at GetGuidance@gov.mb.ca or call: 204-945-2313 (Winnipeg) or 1-844-808-2313 (toll-free). Please include ‘Mediation’ in your email subject line.

Who offers mediation services privately?

Social workers, psychologists, lawyers and other persons in the private sector may offer mediation on parenting and financial issues on a fee-for-service basis. Many of these people advertise online.

You can contact ADR Institute of Manitoba or Family Mediation Canada, for a list of people who do mediation.

There are no laws requiring people who practise as mediators to have specialized training or qualifications. Before retaining a mediator, it is important to ask about the person’s qualifications. For example, ask if Family Mediation Canada has certified the mediator.