Applying for a new safety fitness certificate in Manitoba

Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure issues safety fitness certificates for Manitoba-based operators. Safety fitness certificates are valid for one year. New operators entering Manitoba’s motor carrier industry must apply for a new safety fitness certificate by submitting an application to the Motor Carrier Safety Program.

How do I obtain an application for a new safety fitness certificate?
New operators can obtain an application form online (PDF), or contact the Motor Carrier Safety Program to receive a copy by fax, email or by Canada Post. 

Please contact the Motor Carrier Safety Program at:

  • Telephone:  204-945-5322, Toll free: 1-877-340-9068
  • Email:
  • Fax: 204-948-2078
  • In-person or via Canada Post:

    Unit C- 1695 Sargent Avenue
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3H 0C4

How long will it take to get a new safety fitness certificate?
New operators can expect that it may take up to 10 business days to process the new carrier application and to issue a temporary safety fitness certificate that can be used to register their regulated vehicles with Manitoba Public Insurance. New applicants may be able to speed up the process by ensuring that they provide complete information on their application and submit relevant supporting documentation.

What supporting documents are required for a new safety fitness certificate application?
New operators are expected to provide the following supporting documents with their application for a new safety fitness certificate:

  • Pay the $200 Application Fee – As of January 1, 2023, new carriers must pay a $200 application fee, as prescribed in s. 70.1 of the Charges for Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Other Services Regulation at the time they submit their safety fitness certificate application form.
  • Proof of insurance – New carriers must provide proof of adequate insurance. The minimum insurance requirements are $1 million for commercial operations that operate for compensation and/or operate outside of Manitoba, $2 million for regulated passenger vehicles operating for compensation and for the transportation of dangerous goods.
  • Proof of valid periodic mandatory vehicle inspection (PMVI) – Manitoba requires that regulated vehicles are mechanically sound and must be inspected regularly as specified in the Periodic Mandatory Vehicle Inspection Regulation. New carriers are required to provide proof that all the regulated vehicles they plan to register have a valid PMVI certificate at the time that their new safety fitness certificate is approved and issued.
  • Proof of valid business entity – If the new carrier is a company, the carrier must provide proof that they are a registered business with the Manitoba Companies Office and have the legal right to operate as a company in Manitoba.
  • Certification of Compliance Officer – New operators must have a certified compliance officer (sometimes companies call this position ‘safety officer’) who is responsible for ensuring that the company meets their safe operating and record-keeping responsibilities under the Highway Traffic Act. Compliance officers must take an approved course to receive their certification. The course approved for the certification of compliance officers is administered by the Manitoba Trucking Association on behalf of the Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure.Visit the Manitoba Trucking Association site for more information on the approved New Entrant Training (NET) course.