The Victims’ Bill of Rights Complaints Process

Manitoba Justice recognizes the need to offer information, assistance and support to victims of the most serious crimes. Victim service workers:

  • provide information about the justice system and community resources
  • tell victims about their options, rights and responsibilities

For information

Call toll free: 1-866-4VICTIM (1-866-484-2846)

Or go to: Victim Services

What is the Victims’ Rights complaints process?

The Victims’ Bill of Rights provides a complaints process for victims who feel they have not been treated fairly by the justice system. In such cases, the Victim Services staff will investigate your concern and take any appropriate actions. It is important to note that making a complaint cannot change the outcome of a criminal case.

Who can make a complaint?

  • Victims can file a complaint for rights they have under The Victims’ Bill of Rights that were specifically requested, but unmet.
  • If the victim is deceased or incapacitated, the closest relative or other designated person may file the complaint on the victim’s behalf.

How do I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint by phone or by sending a letter to the director of Victim Services at the address listed below.

What happens after a complaint is made?

  • The director investigates the complaint, consults justice officials and takes or recommends steps to address your concerns.
  • You will receive a report on the results of the investigation, including information about the steps taken or recommended and your right to file a complaint with the provincial ombudsman.
  • You will have an opportunity to comment on the report.
  • The director is allowed up to 30 days to complete the investigation and provide you with the report. The director may extend the time by 30 days, or longer, if the provincial ombudsman agrees. This may happen if extra time is needed to consult with you or someone else about the complaint or to complete the report.
  • You will receive notice of the reason for the extension, when to expect the completed report and your right to complain to the provincial ombudsman about any time extension.

Complaints should be directed to:

Manitoba Justice Victim Services

1410-405 Broadway
Winnipeg, MB R3C 3L6
Phone: 204-945-6851 in Winnipeg
Toll free: 1-866-4-VICTIM (1-866-484-2846)
Fax: 204-948-2229