Non-Consensual Distribution of Intimate Images

It is illegal in Canada for a person to distribute an intimate image of another person without that person’s consent. An intimate image is a picture or recording in which a person is nude, partially nude or engaged in explicit sexual activity that was made in circumstances where there would be an expectation of privacy in the picture or recording. Distribution can also include selling the image, advertising it, or making it available through other means, such as posting a link to the image.

The Intimate Image Protection Act (IIPA) provides additional support and resources for persons in Manitoba who have had their intimate images shared without their consent, or believe that their intimate images may be shared without their consent.

What can I do to stop my image from being shared without my consent?

If you have shared an intimate or sexual picture or video with a person, or if you know that someone has such a picture or video of you, and that picture or video may be shared online, there are steps you can take to gain control over the situation.

  1. If the image is already online, you can take action to have it removed. Determine what service the picture or video is displayed on, and contact that service to request that they remove the picture or video. Tell the provider that you are a Canadian citizen who did not post the picture or video to their site, you did not give permission for the content to be posted, and you want it removed.
  2. If you do not know whether your image is online or otherwise being shared, but are worried that it might happen (or if you know it is being shared and you want it to stop), you can send a message in writing to the person who has your picture or video. This message should read like the following:

    “I do not consent to you having the picture or video of me [add description, such as what I sent you on (DATE)]. I want you to delete it and I do not give you permission to share it with anyone else.”
  3. Whether you sent the person who has your image a message telling them not to share your image or not, if you are scared that someone will share your intimate image, the law allows you to apply to the court for something called a peace bond. This can set conditions on the person who has your image – such as not sharing the image with anyone else – and if the person breaks any of the conditions, they could be charged with a crime. For more information about peace bonds, visit the Peace Bonds page or call 1-866-4-VICTIM (1-866-484-2846).

Who can help me when I have had an intimate image shared, or believe it may be shared?

The IIPA designates the Canadian Centre for Child Protection (C3P) as the designated agency to receive requests for assistance. It provides supports to those concerned with the distribution of their intimate images in Manitoba.

Through the program, C3P can help you take steps to remove the images, contact the individual who has or has shared your image, provide information on how to handle situations involving non-consensual distribution of intimate images, and help forward cases to the police when necessary.

For more information, visit or phone toll free 1-866-658-9022.

I have more questions about non-consensual distribution of intimate images and what action I can take. Who can I contact?

For more information about actions you can take, contact the Cybertip program through their online reporting form at, or phone toll free at 1-866-658-9022. If you are between the ages of 13 and 17, you can also visit for resources and supports.


Some content on this page courtesy of the Canadian Centre for Child Protection